My first pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from EPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPC

My very first pens made were slimlines since the kits were the cheapest. I went through a lot of slim line kits before I finally got the process down. Below are what I consider my first true pens. The first one, the Euro style has a story behind it. This is the first Euro style ever attempted and the first time for me to use a real piece of wood instead of the crap I was using on the slimlines.

During the turning process I ran into some major wood rot. Three chunks flew out of the blank, leave three holes. The largest hole being on the lower barrel, 1/4" x 1/2". The second large hole you can see on the upper barrel right below the clip, almost dead center. Needless to say, I was sick to my stomache when that happened.

The blanks remained remained on the lathe for 3 days while I tried to figure out what to do. Then I remembered the DVD that I ordered from Bill B. There was one section where he used CA glue for minor blemishes. What the heck, maybe it could repair major damage. I had nothing to lose, so I gave it a shot. The pic shows the end result.

The second picture below of a fountain pen has no special story or sentimental value. It just so happens to be the first fountain pen I have ever made.

2006827165517_euro1.jpg

200682717126_fountain1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leatherjunkie

they look great.
buckeye burl is a hard wood for anyone to turn.
you did great repairing it.

with buckeye burl you need sharp tools and take your time turning it.
I have found out with buckeye burl to use very light cuts. dont go hogwild and try to turn it down as fast as you would maple.

your pens look great. now your hooked.

OSCAR15

DITTO! to what Leatherjunkie has to say...and by the way, slimlines are EVERYONES first but they aren't that easy. " I went through a lot of slim line kits before I finally got the process down." I've seen that a lot. Slimlines can be tough and some of them are beautiful!

For a good beginners pen that looks very classy, try a cigar!
As to the pens you posted here, you did a great job! Take your time, and take light cuts.
And..Welcome to "the addiction"

EPC

Without a doubt....I'm hooked/addicted. I started off with the slimlines because I read somewhere they were the easiest pen to make. I have one thing to say in regards to that statement.......LIARS. [:D] The styles that I have made so far are slimline, euro, fountain twist, spider filigree, wall street, atlas, cigar, amerincan style screw cap that looks like a fountain, purse pen and clip pen. With the exception of the american style screw cap I found that all the other styles listed above are easier to make that the slimline.

So far the easiest pen that I found to make is the Wall Street. As far as the slimlines go.....I'm dropping them from my line up. They're harder to make and you have to sell them at too low of a price.

OSCAR15

Originally posted by EPC
<br />Without a doubt....I'm hooked/addicted. I started off with the slimlines because I read somewhere they were the easiest pen to make. I have one thing to say in regards to that statement.......LIARS. [:D] The styles that I have made so far are slimline, euro, fountain twist, spider filigree, wall street, atlas, cigar, amerincan style screw cap that looks like a fountain, purse pen and clip pen. With the exception of the american style screw cap I found that all the other styles listed above are easier to make that the slimline.

So far the easiest pen that I found to make is the Wall Street. As far as the slimlines go.....I'm dropping them from my line up. They're harder to make and you have to sell them at too low of a price.
They are good because:
1) If you can turn them, you can turn just about any pen.
2) They are cheaper kits, so you can actually make more profit. If you use titanium or rhodium, you will have a great looking pen.
3) You do not have to turn them b2b which allows tremendous creativity. Before you decide NOT to turn anymore, take a look at some posted in this forum! Some are really awesome.
4) Women prefer a thinner pen. I have yet to sell a cigar to a lady, unless she bought it as a gift. Do you want to cut off 50% of potential buyers?
5) Once you get it down pat, they are very fast to turn and assemble.
JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION....(but you know what they say about opinions)

Dario

In my experience, the Euros are among the most difficult kit so after that, you should be able to make anything.

Do pay attention on the fit of the pen. As Billy said....practice, practice, practice. [:)]

Both pens looks good!

Radman

You did a terrific job with the patching of the blowout(s). When it happens to me, if it's a special blank, I may try and patch with some sawdust or shavings from the blank. Usuually though, I wind up taking all the wood off and reusing the tube.
Your fountain pen rocks![8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom