My first pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texas Turning

Texas Turning

These are some of the first pens we turned. It sparked a passion for pen turning.

Attachments

• IMG_20180128_141958829.jpg
    IMG_20180128_141958829.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 335
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Thinking out of the box. SWMBO is "suggesting" that I do similar things to my pens. A fellow at our local Woodcraft store showed us some pens by an experienced turner. A wide range of shapes, wood and acrylic, and just plain fancy pens!

OZturner

The following are My Honest remarks, and my Critique of your presentation.
Thank you Amber for Showing, your First Pens.

I will start the Lower Pen,
A Beautiful Pen,
Excellently Turned, Superb Transition from Blank to Nib Section.
Great Fit and Finish.

Now to the First Three.
These Pens Indicate that you have a Talent for Turning Beads and Coves, perhaps more suited for Lamp Pulls etc.

They have a short Transition from the Over Sized Blank to the Nib Cone and Center Bands. This would be very noticeable to the Touch, and I suggest somewhat uncomfortable to ones fingers.

You have shown Excellent Skills and one Great Pen, with the remainder, you have shown some good Turning, but what we are producing is Pens, Not a Light Pull or an Ornament.
Please take this as it is intended, as my Critique.
My views are not necessarily Universally accepted, but it is a Critque.
I look forward to your response, and to Critique you future Posting.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:

Texas Turning

Thank you for your honest opinion Brian. I have been turning for less than a month and have never used a lathe or wood tools before this time. I am very intrigued with all the different woods (how they turn and look) and the amazing things that happen when you apply the tools. The bottom pen sold for $85 the purple pen was a hit with the ladies I had about 5 that wanted it but my mom ended up claiming it so I gifted it to her. The next to the top olive wood was a gift for a great uncles birthday. And the olive at the top sold for $50. I just love being able to create something that is my own one of a kind. I like to make then standard but there is just something fun about making a unique crazy looking pen. Please continue to watch for my work and comments and critiques are always welcome.

Amber

Big1011Guy

My first pen

I started woodworking about 6 months ago. I am 63 years young and on Disability. I got tired of sitting on my rear end watching TV or sitting at the computer. I bought a Wen#3420 Mini Lathe a month ago and then the pen turning supplies Last Week. I turned my First Pen yesterday 2/4/18 and it was a BLAST. I have OCD which can be a bad or good thing when it comes to Woodworking, lol. I am very pleased with my First Ever Turned Pen and am planning on doing a whole lot more.
This Pen is from an Olivewood Blank that was included in the Pen Turning Starters Kit from Rockler.
OldMcDonaldWoodworking (Guy McDonald)

Attachments

• Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings.jpg
    Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings2.jpg
    Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 140
  • Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings3.jpg
    Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings4.jpg
    Wood Pens - Olivewood and Gold Fittings4.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 131

OZturner

Hi Guy, welcome aboard.
Firstly you should have posted your pen on your own post, and not attach to someone else's post, that is called Poaching, it is not as bad as Rustling, and you won't get shot at, in particular as you are a new Guy.
That was a Beautiful piece of Olive Wood, I bet it smelt Gorgeous as you turned it.
Nice job on your First Pen, you could have turned the Transition from the Large Diameter to the Nib Diameter a little closer, as ones fingers will make that little lip feel like the Niagara Falls.
Excellent Finish.
I look forward to seeing your next Pen, this time in your own post.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:
I have to agree with OZturner on his first post. Nice pens but functionally they're not there yet. But I do admire your work with a lathe, there's a lot to learn from what you've done here. But...these are just my thoughts.

Top Bottom