My first pens - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Show Off Your Pens!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Show Off Your Pens! Let's see your best work!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default My first pens

Hi there! I just got a lathe for christmas, so Iím very green as far as turning goes. These are my first pens Iíve made. Theyíre from a sampler kit from penn state. All the wood is cocobolo, except for the white pen thatís an oak branch from the front yard. I definitely think it wasnít quite dry enough to use, as the knots in it have separated slightly since I turned it. It had been drying for some months, and I should have been more patient with it, but I was so excited!
Let me know what all you experienced guys think, and let me know what I could do to improve.
Attached Thumbnails
aead7be8-7e32-404f-a5a2-01a91694bac7.jpg   a06960cc-e16b-4110-ac30-e3ed654b5bba.jpg  
Rachgard is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Great looking pens. I'm a rookie too and wish my first pens looked that good
Jeremymc98 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Great body shapes...!

The finish needs improvement and the fit and finish looks pretty OK apart from the pen at the bottom of your hand, you may have used the wrong bushings for the band you endup using, the wood is under turned at the centre band joints but apart from that, for first pens you are doing extremely well, congrats.

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good First pens. You will get better with practice and with the tips you learn here. George has given you some good advice. Keep after it and welcome to the addition.

Turncrazy43
turncrazy43 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Robutacion, I really think you hit the nail on the head on all the things I was thinking about these pens. I did a good polish to superfine (12000) and then did a beeswax coating, but I have no real idea on the longevity of that. Also, I think the preferred is a nice, shiny ca finish, but I really messed it up when I tried it and I ended up having to sand it all back down and start over. I’ll have to do more research on it. As far as the slim lines go, you’re exactly right, I didn’t have the bushing set. I got as close as I could, but it really did leave a drastic and unpleasant line. I was really disappointed with that after I put it together.

Thanks so much for your input, I totally agree with all your points!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

A CA finish is really tricky to master until you get the hang of it. Watch videos and practice till you find what works for you. There are many finishes to use on wood pens. CA works if you want a high shine finish. Check out DoctorsWoodshop.com and the Pens Plus finish. It will give a matte finish that lasts for me. Friction Polish finish is quick but it is not real long lasting. Keep trying different finishes until you find what works for you. Turncrazy43
turncrazy43 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice! I’ll check out doctorswoodshop now
Old 01-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turncrazy43 View Post
A CA finish is really tricky to master until you get the hang of it. Watch videos and practice till you find what works for you. There are many finishes to use on wood pens. CA works if you want a high shine finish. Check out DoctorsWoodshop.com and the Pens Plus finish. It will give a matte finish that lasts for me. Friction Polish finish is quick but it is not real long lasting. Keep trying different finishes until you find what works for you. Turncrazy43
Good advice here but I would avoid CA on cocobolo until you've practiced it a bit. Cocobolo has been tricky at times for me, I'm guessing because of the oil in the wood.

I love the color of the oak pen!
JKicker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2018, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 60

Hi Rachel !! . Welcome to IAP !! . Lovely pens !!

Write a couple of sentences in the "Introductions" forum and you could win a prize as a newbie in the monthly (or quarterly) prize draw.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

Last edited by magpens; 01-11-2018 at 11:17 PM.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-14-2018, 02:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 63

You have acknowledged the main points that George covered, Rachel.
So we won't go over them again.
I like what you have done, yes there are some area's requiring attention, but there is also a lot of good points. You have chosen a difficult wood in Cocobolo, not only is it oily, but different pieces can vary considerably in their hardness, also it can be quite an irritant so please take care of your skin, eye's and lungs.
Regarding the drying of the Oak Branch, it will take about a year an inch to dry naturally, and then only with some end sealer to retard and control the moisture loss, so that it doesn't split or crack.
I look forward to you future posts,
Congratulations,
Brian.

OZturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads