my first pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hyperionfall

hyperionfall

Here are my first attempts as a penturner.

Attachments

• pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 223
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 236
  • pen3.jpg
    pen3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 288
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You are well on the right track and they look good. Far too often, new turners make their first pens very bulbous. Your shapes are pretty good.:good::good:

Well done !! It's fun, isn't it?:biggrin:

mecompco

I agree--you've got some nice lines going. Next, work on the fitment a bit--it looks like you've got a space near the center band on one of them. Also, work on getting the fit of the nib better. Truly, Slimline pens are one of the more difficult pens to get "perfect".

I like the Cigar. There might be some radial scratches left on it, by the center band? Remember to sand laterally w/the lathe off as well as with the lathe running.

Regards,
Michael

OZturner

Outstanding First Pens, Edward.
Glorious Blanks, Great Profiles.
If possible, please Keep your First Pen, and use it as a reference to gauge your progress, by comparing back to it.
Congratulations,
Brian.

hyperionfall

I agree--you've got some nice lines going. Next, work on the fitment a bit--it looks like you've got a space near the center band on one of them. Also, work on getting the fit of the nib better. Truly, Slimline pens are one of the more difficult pens to get "perfect".

I like the Cigar. There might be some radial scratches left on it, by the center band? Remember to sand laterally w/the lathe off as well as with the lathe running.

Regards,
Michael

Michael,
Thanks very much. Yep those issues have been noted and solved. I did not have a end trimmer and was using a sander that has no guides for alignment, I now have trimmers and the fit and tearout on the ends have gone away.

Lee

elkhorn

Great start! Unfortunately, now you're addicted:big grin:

Enjoy the hobby and the fellowship on this site.

Top Bottom