My First Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ejjenkins

ejjenkins

I decided to get myself everything I needed this Christmas to make some pens. So I spent a small fortune on a lot of things :) and started to play!

Here are my first attempts...and I had so much fun making them, I am glad I started.

The pens are from left to right - Walnut Cigar Pen, Padauk Cigar Pen, Maple with Walnut Cigar Pen and finally Walnut with Maple Trimline Pen. All are finished with sanding sealer and friction polish.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Erik

Attachments

• Pens.jpg
    Pens.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 318
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Erik Great set of Pens, especially for your Firsts.
Nice Segmentation, Good Fit and Finish.
Don't know what you spent getting set up, but it won't be the last lot of money you will use following your new addiction.
Congratulations.
Brian.

ejjenkins

It is really a lot of fun, I have been doing all sorts of woodworking (as a hobby) for a long time. This is the first time for turning.

@Brian -
This is an expensive bit of fun :) had to get a lathe, turning tools, mandrel, pen mills, pen kits, decided to get a nice 4 jaw chuck (with extra jaws) so I could do more on the lathe...definitely more will follow. I think this was just a good excuse to buy more tools :wink:.

The good thing is, I have a nice big workshop with all sorts of different kinds of wood with plenty of small bits from other projects.

Just getting started, but I am having a great time. Looks like a fun ride ahead!

Erik

butchf18a

Keep at least one in a safe place. Years from now take it out and compare with the pens you will be turning then. While pleased with your initial successes, you will be amazed with the difference in quality, fit, and finish.

Flaturner

Great start. . .

and I do have a suggestion. Keep up the good work. It only gets better except when it all goes to pot. But that is good, too, 'cause you learn.

OZturner

It is really a lot of fun, I have been doing all sorts of woodworking (as a hobby) for a long time. This is the first time for turning.

@Brian -
This is an expensive bit of fun :) had to get a lathe, turning tools, mandrel, pen mills, pen kits, decided to get a nice 4 jaw chuck (with extra jaws) so I could do more on the lathe...definitely more will follow. I think this was just a good excuse to buy more tools :wink:.

The good thing is, I have a nice big workshop with all sorts of different kinds of wood with plenty of small bits from other projects.

Just getting started, but I am having a great time. Looks like a fun ride ahead!

Erik
Erik, You are Hooked,
Remember these things you are getting are things you NEED, not things you Want.
Just a word of caution, before you empty your bank account and melt your credit cards.
There are many very informative tutorials in the library, that may send you in a slightly different direction, for example I see you bought a Pen Mill.
There are some very interesting discussions on Pen mills, as opposed to making a simple sanding device for your lathe, that will give you excellent results and not ruin expensive Blanks.
I strongly suggest that you contact your nearest Chapter/Group and attend a meeting or two, and pick up a gallon or so of the "Good OIL".
It may save melting a credit card or two.
Best Wishes for the New Year.
Brian.

ejjenkins

@Brian,

I will check out the library...I have been reading and watching videos for a while trying to figure this out.

So far, the pen blanks have all been scrap wood in my workshop, I have lots of different kinds of wood, so I will continue to practice on that. Is there a good source of brass tubes so I can get "practice tubes" without buying whole kits? Long ones are fine, I can cut them down to size.

Take care,
Erik

OZturner

@Brian,

I will check out the library...I have been reading and watching videos for a while trying to figure this out.

So far, the pen blanks have all been scrap wood in my workshop, I have lots of different kinds of wood, so I will continue to practice on that. Is there a good source of brass tubes so I can get "practice tubes" without buying whole kits? Long ones are fine, I can cut them down to size.

Take care,
Erik

Yes Erik, You can purchase Tubes on their own.

Of Course various Pens have different Dia Tubes, and also require differentBushes.

For example, the Slim Line use a 7mm Drill, hence the tube O/D is made forthat dimension, you can buy them from any reputable suppliers, either cut tolength, or some suppliers have them in longer Sections.

I suggest if you intend to buy some additional Tubes, that you decide whatstyle of Pen you want to develop your skills on, and purchase some of thoseTubes.

That way you won't be wasting any tubes on practice, but will be in aposition to convert them into Pens when you wish.

Having some extra Tubes on hand is very handy, if and when you have aterminal problem.

Regards,

Brian.

SDB777

WOW!!

You got everything you needed on Christmas, and three days later you already have four very well done pens!! That is awesome, and I can't wait to see where this new hobby takes you....

Scott (wish my first four were 1/10th as good) B

Fishinbo

They all look really beautiful and well made. Like the variety of wood colors and the classy design on the segmented ones. Hard to believe they are your first, impressive work!

Top Bottom