My first pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobostro61

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

Say, good looking pens. The center band you choose would allow for a thicker pen than the Slimline bushings dictate. This is freedom for your creativity.

gbpens

Nice looking "first pens." You might try reverse painting the material on some acrylics such as the purple/lavendar pen. That material starts out a deep purple but lightens as it is turned down. The same material in red holds it's color much better.

Jeannius

Very nice pens!
With those slimline pens, if you lose the heavy middle band altogether and match your wood well, they also look good - and you can keep them really thin which a lot of women like.
I also add the tiniest strip of black buffalo horn on each end of the tubes at the centre to act as an accent. That looks nice too. They are turned down to the same diameter as the wood and visually act as a central band.

Joe S.

5th from left is my favorite! Is it a trick of the light or does it have a gold tip? I'm also impressed that you did such a good job on turning acrylic so early in your career! It takes a skilled hand to get it as thin (to the tube) as that purple one!
Just a few tips:

#1 avoid the bulge shape that's on the yellow pen, try to match the curve of the kit like you did in the 5th from left.

#2 get the colored tubes when you use acrylic, they come in 7mm, 27/64", and 10mm at just about every supplier I've seen. I still haven't taken the time to get reverse painting down, but I'm impressed with what I've seen on this site!

#3 if you have a kit but bushings that are too small, like the 2 7mm kits you have, you can just turn above the bushings, keep checking the fit by taking the blank off and holding the centerband up to it. If your careful, you can get a better fit than if you went to the bushings.

You did a great job! Wait until January 2014 and you will be surprised at how far you've come! Keep 'em coming!

Bobostro61

Thanks for the replies. There were no instructions with the slim line pens. I realized after finding the instructions on line that I used the wrong bushings. Oh well, live and learn. That won't be happening again.

The fifth from the left has a chrome tip. It's just picking up the color from the table cloth under the sheet of paper the pens are on. That's the pen I made to go with a pipe I made that's in another post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom