My First Pen -- You Asked for it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hobby_dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobby_dale

Okay kind folks...since joining the group a little over a week ago, I have been asked to post a photo. Well I turned my first pen, outside of the Woodcraft class, this past weekend. I used it as a prize in a company presentation and everyone loved it!

Here are two photos. The pen on the top (mexican bocote) is the one I just made. The one on the bottom (bloodwood) was the one I did in the Woodcraft class. So both 1st pens, one with the help of a teacher, one just by me.

I really like the grain pattern on the bocote pen. It just "appeared" as I was turning it. Sort of like finding a gold mine. I adjusted it during assembly to get the "arrows in (eye effect)" and "arrows out" patterns.

I know they may not look like much, but having created something with my own hands and a nice relaxing activity, it was great! I look forward to many more turnings.

Hope you enjoy and comments are always welcome. Especially if they help make me better.

Best Regards,
Dale

2005519212847_Pen-right-2.jpg

2005519212931_Pen-left.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

atvrules1

Good job Dale,
Looks like you are starting off well. Those are both nicely done, especially for first pens. The photography also shows them nicely. We look forward to more. And we all understand the feeling of creating something with our own hands. Nothing like it in the world. Keep up the good work.

simplepens

Fantastic job on those pens Dale. The pattern in the Bocote is cool. You have found one of the addicting parts of this hobby...watching what you uncover as you turn. Keep the pictures coming.

alamocdc

Very nice pens, Dale! I too like the grain pattern in the Bocote. When I'm turning and I run into interesting grain, it makes me go [:D]. And it case you haven't figured it out yet, you're hooked now just like the rest of us.[;)]

Daniel

Great job, Bocote is one of my two favorite woods for strong grain. Wenga being the other. Keep up the good work.

hobby_dale

Wow, thanks everyone so much for the warm and positive feedback! Especially Ken's comment about not looking like first pens. I haven't really done much with my hands before, so it is a treat/adventure. Showed the LOML last night the comments that were coming in here, to help sway her [;)], and she had a greater appreciation for what I do. Her first question was how do the folks at work like the pen? Cool... [:D]

Wanted to take a moment to mention the finish on the pens. Although the photos may not show the details. I am just starting to learn about finishing, so until then what I used on the pens was the following:

1) Sand to 400
2) MM to 12,000 (dry)
3) 3 coats of Myland high build friction polish
4) 2 coats of EEE Ultra Shine (looked good on the video)
5) 2 coats of Johnson's paste wax

Any thoughts on the above are also welcome.

I have Renaissance wax, but haven't tried it yet. The paste wax was used to just give it a coating of some kind to help protect it. I know it may not last, but at least it wasn't exposed. I am also interested in try the CA/BLO and Enduro finishes to see how those compare with what I did above. I noticed there are small grain lines (i.e. not smooth like glass) in the wood. Kinda of makes it feel like wood, instead of plastic/glass. Will see how the other finishes affect it.

Oh, by the way...you all are right....I am hooked! [:p]

Take care for now,
Dale

You ain't seen nothing yet...wait until about 3 months from now when you wake up early one morning and go to your online banking account and start listing all the money you've spent on pen making supplies....and it doesn't bother you ....lol. That's when you're hooked. NOT THAT I"VE DONE THAT! Nope not me!.....lol[:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom