My First Pen - Yew and ROTUR kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KDM

KDM

Well, here's my first pen.

1_20100313YewPen00B.jpg

Made from a piece of West country yew and a standard 7mm ROTUR kit.

I have a Prazimat metal turning lathe, so I ground a woodcutting bit for it.

1_20091106153924Lathe_.jpg

I enjoyed this, so I think I'll invest in a small set of proper wood tools and make a little tool rest.

My mandrel was made from the guide rod out of an old printer. I cut an M8 thread on one end and used a bolt to hold the working pieces in place. The spacers are made from a piece of centre-drilled mild steel.

I'm reasonably happy with the finish. It's brought up with fine wire wool. I think I'll invest in a set of wet and dry sanding pads. I put a little CA glue on before the final sanding: I didn't want it to look too unnatural.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

You're off to a great start, Ken! Hang on to this pen and look at it in a year, to show yourself how far and fast you progress!

KDM

Thanks for the kind words folks. Very encouraging.

I'm already looking for interesting stuff to make pens from. I have sandwiched the aluminium from a lager can between two pieces of plexiglass. I'll let you know how I get on with that!! I fully expect it to splinter as soon as I hit it with a drill.

I've been asked about the ropes holding the lathe up. This is it being hoisted into position. It weighs over 250lbs.

Top Bottom