My First Pen is a Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeG

MikeG

1_firstpen1.jpg
This is my first pen. It is a Woodcraft kit with a band from a trade with a friend, a rosewood blank from the same friend, and french polish finish. I enjoyed making it and that's what matters the most. Of course I want to know what I can do better, so please comments are welcome. Thanks for posting all of the great info. on this forum as I don't think I could have done this alone.
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

Very nice but the photo is a little small. Make sure you hang on to it so that you can look back in the years to come and see how far you have come.

Willee

View attachment 37418
This is my first pen. It is a Woodcraft kit with a band from a trade with a friend, a rosewood blank from the same friend, and french polish finish. I enjoyed making it and that's what matters the most. Of course I want to know what I can do better, so please comments are welcome. Thanks for posting all of the great info. on this forum as I don't think I could have done this alone.
Mike

What can you do better ...

Look thru the photo forum here and see what others are doing with the slimline kit.
See if you can figure out how they did what they did.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Willee

I will echo the sentiment to hold on to the pen, put it up somewhere, and in a few years, pull it out and marvel at the journey you have been a part of!

Looks great!

jtdesigns

Very nice but the photo is a little small. Make sure you hang on to it so that you can look back in the years to come and see how far you have come.

+1 on keeping it. I kept one of the first pens I made 15 years ago and mine wasn't even made on a lathe cause I didn't have one. My first slims were made on a Thompkins Turner (basically a mandrel with plastic wheels and plastic bushings that you pass over a straight router bit mounted in a table). Talk about archaic, and a lot of sanding...........

jaeger

Nice pen! Now, carry it around with you and show it off. You may start to find some of your friends that may be interested in a purchase for Christmas since it's is starting to get close to that time of year.
One thing that I like about the slimline pen is the versatility in customizing the band like you have done. There is a lot you can do to customize a slimline and this can be an affordable pen for most buyers.
Have fun and show us more pens!!

Drstrangefart

The slimline offers a lot of flexibility for shaping and working it into sone impressive stuff. I like eliminating the center band on it and making the pen bodies super thick. You did a really good job getting the pen turned and finished. Looks like something you WANT to be showing off as much as you can.

Top Bottom