My first pen shown on IAP - Canary Gatsby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lobster

lobster

I've been making pens now for about 4-5 weeks and this is BY FAR my best ever pen. It's a Gatsby made from angled cut Canary Wood. The lousy pics don't do it justice. The wood seems to almost shapeshift when you change the light angle...like some of the auto paint jobs which appear blue, then purple as you change the angle of the light.

The finish is also my best ever. Normal sanding up to 600 grit, stopping between each grit to sand lengthwise, then micromesh up to 3600. Finally about 4 coats of BLO / CA.

I even managed to fill in some voids using thin CA when I was sanding at the 320 grit level.

I'm extremely proud of this pen. I hope you like it. I can still, however, take some constructive criticism. It took me about 50 total pens before I had the courage to post here. Most of you guys make me look like a chump!

Do you think the bulge is too "bulgy"?

A 63 year old guy at my gym trains me for free. I think I am going to give it to him tomorrow as a thank you.

canary gatsby 1.JPG

canary gatsby 2.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great looking pen and I can tell that you put a nice finish on it. I think your gym instructor will really appreciate it.

As to the bulge, if you notice it, then you should decide. I started off with many bulges and gradually eliminated them except when I intentionally wanted them. Early on in our pen turning, I think most of us get a pen to a point that we are afraid to trim it down just a bit more for fear of destroying it or going too far. We ruin quite a few that we won't admit openly, :wink: then stop too soon when a great looking pen begins to emerge. Nothing wrong with that and it is both a learning experience and confidence builder to have a great looking pen come forward!

I have trouble with making my own angle cuts. Too much one way or another. To me, Angle cuts show up well only at certain particular angles. It seems to me that 2° one way or the other will throw it off and reduce the pen to just "OK". For yours, the angle is perfect.

dustmaker

That is a very well done pen. The grain is attractive, and no, the shape is not too wide. I have been doing my Sierras (same as Gatsby) with about a 5/8" bulge and shifting it a bit more towards the finial, but that is just my style. It really comes down to what you like or what you think the end user will like. Nothing wrong with this pen. I hope you will post more; you do good work.

Ligget

Larry that is an excellent pen, lovely finish! As for the bulge it is a personal taste issue, some folks like them others don`t, looks fine from over here though!!

Jgrden

I've been making pens now for about 4-5 weeks and this is BY FAR my best ever pen. It's a Gatsby made from angled cut Canary Wood. The lousy pics don't do it justice. The wood seems to almost shapeshift when you change the light angle...like some of the auto paint jobs which appear blue, then purple as you change the angle of the light.

The finish is also my best ever. Normal sanding up to 600 grit, stopping between each grit to sand lengthwise, then micromesh up to 3600. Finally about 4 coats of BLO / CA.

I even managed to fill in some voids using thin CA when I was sanding at the 320 grit level.

I'm extremely proud of this pen. I hope you like it. I can still, however, take some constructive criticism. It took me about 50 total pens before I had the courage to post here. Most of you guys make me look like a chump!

Do you think the bulge is too "bulgy"?

A 63 year old guy at my gym trains me for free. I think I am going to give it to him tomorrow as a thank you.

View attachment 19551

View attachment 19552
Wait, before you give it to your trainer, let's get a look at you. Post some pictures of yourself and we'll vote. :redface:

TurnaPen

Lobster, like your pen and finish, my own personal opinion is that Sierra's look sleek and naturally beautiful with straight sides, because of the shape of the kit. Whereas with slimlines I like the bee style. Remember, that is just me, and you must go according to what you like, just try a Sierra with the same material with straight sides and see what YOU think, Amos

lobster

Thank you so very much for all the kind words. Winning praise from this crowd to me is a special moment. I hope I can continue that trend.

As for pics of me, well...nobody wants to see my ugly mug. The training must be paying off as my wifey called me "skinny jaw" just yesterday morning...

Thanks again!

Top Bottom