My first pen ever!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from johnspensandmore

Just kidding! But, after being diagnosed with Leukemia this year, it sure felt like it! It's been a difficult year, to say the least.

Even though I haven't been posting, I have been lurking about and admiring all of the great pens! Y'all sure have been posting up some great work!

I decided to try my hand at some kit-less pens, and this is my third. It's a roller made from an Italian resin, some coal resin and aluminum. The custom nose piece is Ebonite. It was a challenge and a joy to make!

What do you think?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2,293

PenPal

John,

I salute a brave man one who is game to tear up a perfectly good bed covering for a pen so
he could acheive a different pic oportunity. Shaggy chic on the outside solid gold inside.

We my SWMBO and you have both travelled thru the valley of the shadow about the same time and I am pleased to relate to you my wife has had three clearences so far and I am
delighted to see you back on deck so cheerful.

Seeing your take on noses, material, threading massive colour impact your result is this pen to be proud of. Clean sparkling professional result IMHO first class.

Onward and upward are my prayers for you.

Kind regards Peter.

dansills

Simply stunning ... An amazing example of craftsmanship. I love the aluminum work and the bands really set it off. This one should make front page! Glad to see your turning.... Looking forward to seeing the next one :wink:

Jim Burr

Banned
Glad you're back!! Did my cancer thing last year and all I wanted to do was get back in the shop. Aluminum accents are really cool and that blank is a stunner!!

BSea

That is fantastic. I think this is one of the best I've ever seen. Great use of the solid black with the colored blank.

One question. How do the aluminum on aluminum threads work with each other?

That is fantastic. I think this is one of the best I've ever seen. Great use of the solid black with the colored blank.

One question. How do the aluminum on aluminum threads work with each other?

Thanks for the kind words! The aluminum threads works just fine, I like having the metal in the center to give the pen some strength. I do think I'm going to spring for the triple-start.

John,

I salute a brave man one who is game to tear up a perfectly good bed covering for a pen so
he could acheive a different pic oportunity. Shaggy chic on the outside solid gold inside.

We my SWMBO and you have both travelled thru the valley of the shadow about the same time and I am pleased to relate to you my wife has had three clearences so far and I am
delighted to see you back on deck so cheerful.

Seeing your take on noses, material, threading massive colour impact your result is this pen to be proud of. Clean sparkling professional result IMHO first class.

Onward and upward are my prayers for you.

Kind regards Peter.

Thanks, Peter! I have a six year old princess that keeps me in the game!

firewhatfire

Man that is nice. I almost bought aluminum to try that but backed out thinking it wouldn't work(or really I wasn't good enough to work with it) Thinking I may need to try now.

PenMan1

Absolutely OUTSTANDING! One of the first custom pens I've seen in a while that doesn't look like "paint by number". Excellent choice of materials and impeccable execution!

Well done, and good luck with your rehabilitation.

plano_harry

That is such a great pen in so many ways! Love the nose cone; resin combo; shape and hardware. Wish it were a kit - I would be getting in line!! I am a long way from making that from scratch.

Congrats on a beautiful pen and thanks for posting!

Harry

Jjartwood

The pitch,a swing and it's out of here!
I wouldn't know how to start so I'll just end.IT'S BEAUTIFUL,
THAT IS A FRONT PAGE PEN!
Mark

BradG

I do like this one John, the depth of the blank is outstanding as is your attention to detail turning it. (you get an extra point from me for using aluminium :biggrin: )

Nicely done

chugbug

Hi John,

Was looking around and just found your pen-- Nice work!

The red and little touches of yellow remind me of flames-- and with the aluminum trim it gives the pen a real custom hot rod look that I think other finishes might not have given it (like gold or even a more reflective chrome might). Cool-- Hot Rod cool!

If that's just your third pen, I'd love to see more!

Cordially...John

Top Bottom