My first pen built around my own custom centerband!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

197822_157130697680337_100001502242963_336198_2180873_n.jpg

Lee K had some walnut and after I saw the pen he made, I wanted to work with a piece. On the way home from the chapter meeting in Roswell, I was holding that pen and some of Brooks803's purple polyresin, and I had the inspired idea of combining the two. This is the end result. It was a bit more challenging to get everything lined up properly, and I had to glue the cb to the top barrel in order to level the other side on the pen mill enough to close some unfortunate gaps, but it worked out pretty well in the end. I am really happy with this one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Allen, that CB worked out very nice. Walnut is usually fairly plain, but the CB you chose to use really brings the walnut to life. Congratulations on a job well done.
Charles

bitshird

Allen, it looks like you are on your way towards the deep end, Now what are you going to customize next?? How bout a closed end pen?? with no cente rband? maybe an embedded clip? there's 10 miles to go and a million ways to get there.

Drstrangefart

I have no clue what's next. It'll probably take a trip out to dad's place and pick up some new tricks. Upon reflection, I am trying to sack up enough to attempt a tubeless clear polyresin slim. I didn't originate the idea, but I really liked it when I heard it being asked about at the chapter meeting. If it works for either of us, Scott's a genius.

Last edited:

MorganGrafixx

I have no clue what's next. It'll probably take a trip out to dad's place and pick up some new tricks. Upon reflection, I am trying to sack up enough to attempt a tubeless clear polyresin slim. I didn't originate the idea, but I really liked it when I heard it being asked about at the chapter meeting. If it works for either of us, Scott's a genius.

Attempt #1 = FAIL!
Tip of the day: When placing a tubeless blank in a vice, be aware of the clamp handle final position. Bumping in to the handle results in increasing vice pressure. You will know it has happened when you hear a loud "CRACK". I backed into the vice handle and I though I had broken a bone in my spine...but when I noticed no pain, I quickly moved from "whew, I'm not dead" to "AH CRAP! That was the blank!" Turns out, I think I'd rather have the broken back. :mad:
Now I have to sweet talk Brooks and see if he has any more of that clear stuff :wink:.

Brooks803

Attempt #1 = FAIL!
Tip of the day: When placing a tubeless blank in a vice, be aware of the clamp handle final position. Bumping in to the handle results in increasing vice pressure. You will know it has happened when you hear a loud "CRACK". I backed into the vice handle and I though I had broken a bone in my spine...but when I noticed no pain, I quickly moved from "whew, I'm not dead" to "AH CRAP! That was the blank!" Turns out, I think I'd rather have the broken back. :mad:
Now I have to sweet talk Brooks and see if he has any more of that clear stuff :wink:.

Scott, Im glad it was the blank...I couldn't cast a new spine (cheaply:cool:) PM me your address and ill make a couple to send you.

Top Bottom