My first pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Powerstroke 7.3

As promised I am posting the picture of my first pen.

I am waiting for my order to come in of all the basics – (mandrel, sand paper, pen kits…) but I picked up Octobers issue of Woodturning Design and saw the article by Kurt Hertzog on making pens. So I went and bought some Paper Mate pens and drill bits along with some nylon bushings to make my own mandrel / bushings and using a weeping willow blank I received from Joe at shadetree_1 made my first pen. While far from perfect my wife has already claimed it…..

Attachments

• 103_1447 (640x480).jpg
    103_1447 (640x480).jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 103_1448 (640x480).jpg
    103_1448 (640x480).jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 103_1449 (640x480).jpg
    103_1449 (640x480).jpg
    148 KB · Views: 175
  • 103_1520 (640x480).jpg
    103_1520 (640x480).jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 265
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

Well that is different for sure! Thanks for sharing. Nice job! Let's see more!

cwolfs69

Now let me get this straight. First pen; closed end; kit less basically; converted commercial refill to wooden body. Where is the "first pen" part of this story. great job and really very ingenious for "first pen".
congratulations. Im just waiting to see what you produce when you get your "basics".

SDB777

Nothing as special as your 'first' pen! You have to keep it you now! Then pull it out and look at it in five years to compare it with where your headed.

Scott (thumbs up to ya) B

Thanks for the comments - looking forward to do some more.
Have my pressure/vacuum 75% chamber set up and going to start casting and stabilizing soon.

BSea

As promised I am posting the picture of my first pen.

I am waiting for my order to come in of all the basics – (mandrel, sand paper, pen kits…) but I picked up Octobers issue of Woodturning Design and saw the article by Kurt Hertzog on making pens. So I went and bought some Paper Mate pens and drill bits along with some nylon bushings to make my own mandrel / bushings and using a weeping willow blank I received from Joe at shadetree_1 made my first pen.
What!?!?! No custom cap? Just kidding. That is so far above my 1st pen that it's not even funny. Great job.

While far from perfect my wife has already claimed it…..
Wives have a way of doing that. Daughters too.:rolleyes:

JD Combs Sr

Thanks for the comments - looking forward to do some more.
Have my pressure/vacuum 75% chamber set up and going to start casting and stabilizing soon.

Hi Powerstroke, I noticed that your lathe looks like it might be a Grizzly G0657 or G0658. Got one myself along with a Jet 1642VS2. I use the Griz mostly for pens and the Jet for larger stuff. I am just curious as to your experience with the Griz. Have you had any problems with it?:confused: For instance I had to replace my On/Off switch once. I will PM you some more info and you can reply to this post via the PM reply. Don't want to shanghai your thread for another subject.:)

drgoretex

First, NICE WORK! That's a beauty, a real nice step up from the typical Bic!

Second, remember, the more pens you show to your wife, the more pens she will have...while you, the penmaker, mysteriously don't seem to have even one... Seems to be a common theme here. In determining how many pen parts to order, you must always factor in 'spousal losses' :)

Keep 'em coming!

Ken

Top Bottom