My First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rjwolfe3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tanner

It looks like the barrels need to be turned down a little more to match up with the nib and centerband. I did the same thing on my first pen. I was like wow, I made this! Then I noticed it did not match the pen parts. I just took it apart and put it back on the lathe and brought the wood down to just a hair over the bushings. You're on your way Rob. I'm sure we'll be seeing many beautiful and perfect pens from you!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Rob, don't worry, your photo skills will increase. Keep the pen and pull it out in a year to see how you have improved.

Lots of information in the library; be sure to pay it a visit.

jwoodwright

Very nice Rob. Your 1st is always special. I wouldn't change a thing on it. Now, your next pen, get it closer, but leave sanding room...

I agree to re-visit it in a year. You'll be amazed at the progress you've made.

packermudgeon

Originally posted by rherrell

Pretty good for a first one! But you gone and done it now. Get used to being broke but having alot of STUFF!:D
You know, I used to be a little annoyed by people saying now that you turn pens you will be broke from buying stuff all the time. It's now been 9 months since my first pen, you're right I'm broke, and
I'm even more annoyed.[V]

Nice first pen, Rob. No matter what keep it around. You'll like to look at it from time to time.:)

Buzz

Nice work. You obviously intended for the barrels to be oversize judging by the consistency of the turning. Be aware though that it may be susceptible to chipping with end grain showing like that. Pens will always be judged on their fit to the nib & centreband etc.

I must admit Rob,my first pen was so bad I disassembled it and re did it and sold it. I wish I had kept it, it wasn't nearly as close to right as yours, now, 600 plus pens later...I wish I had kept it. Do yourself a favor, leave it as it is and save it, you'll be glad you did.

JohnU

Hey Rob, I like it. Good job for the first.

I wont ever post a pic of my first pen. Of course mine might win if anyone ever starts the most overturned with no shape pen contest! I have it in a jar on the desk so I can pull it out... and quickly stick it back out of sight![xx(]

Top Bottom