My First Pen of 2019

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NewfoundlandLaw

While it's project no. 2019-007, this is my first pen of 2019.

I used some walnut that didn't look like much when it was a square blank. When I started to shape it on the lathe I was blown away by the grain.

The kit is called a "Canadiana" but I'm pretty sure it also goes by another name.

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Beautiful wood and very nicely finished !!

The "Canadiana" is a variant of the "Cambridge" (a Berea kit). . There are other names associated with this style of kit also.

OZturner

Beautiful Kit and Blanks Marc.
Great Finish, but I would have much preferred if you had put the Blanks on a diet.

For me, the Beauty of the Kit, Blanks and Finishes, are not enhanced by their Profile.

Unless there is an Specific and Substantial reason for these to be so Bulbous, such as Severe Arthritis, or a Similar Compelling Reason, the Blank should be turned close to the shortest distance, or a minimal Curve, between the Components (ie Bushing) Diameters.
Turning Bulbous is very Common and Symptomatic of New Turners, due in the main to a Lack of Confidence, predominantly as a Result of their Experience Levels.
It does take quite a while to Develop, the Necessary Confidence, the Muscle Memory, Sharpening Skills, and of Course Experience, in particular of the Differing Characteristics of the Lathe, Tools, Materials, and Speeds etc..
And of course, while one, Continues to Turn Bulbous Blanks, they will not necessarily be Gaining or Developing those Essential Experiences, of Muscle Memory, Confidence, Material Characteristics and Skills.
There are many Elements of your Pen that are Excellent, but my Eye's have Difficulty looking Past the Body Profiles.

My Comments and Critiques, are because I can see that you have a lot going for you. You just need to allow yourself to Develop, your Confidence and Experience Base, and Consciously try to reduce the Body Diameters.
A good way to do that, is to grab some firewood, or tree branches. Cut them to a Blank Profile.
Drill a hole the same or a clearance diameter to your Mandrell Diameter, Reverse the Bushings, so that the Large Diameter is in direct contact with the Blank, and what is the section that would normally go into the Tube of the Blank, is reversed, and pointing away from the Blank.
Then Lock up the Blank, and turn it to the same diameter as the Bushing.
It will not take you too long, do for as it takes for you to feel "at Home" and that you could almost do it with your eyes closed.
And you will not have spoiled any expensive Blanks.
But you will have gained a lot of the Necessary Experience and Confidence, in a Very Short Time.
I look forward to "Monitoring" your Development.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Last edited:
Beautiful Kit and Blanks Marc.
Great Finish, but I would have much preferred if you had put the Blanks on a diet.

For me, the Beauty of the Kit, Blanks and Finishes, are not enhanced by their Profile.

Unless there is an Specific and Substantial reason for these to be so Bulbous, such as Severe Arthritis, or a Similar Compelling Reason, the Blank should be turned close to the shortest distance, or a minimal Curve, between the Components (ie Bushing) Diameters.
Turning Bulbous is very Common and Symptomatic of New Turners, due in the main to a Lack of Confidence, predominantly as a Result of their Experience Levels.
It does take quite a while to Develop, the Necessary Confidence, the Muscle Memory, Sharpening Skills, and of Course Experience, in particular of the Differing Characteristics of the Lathe, Tools, Materials, and Speeds etc..
And of course, while one, Continues to Turn Bulbous Blanks, they will not necessarily be Gaining or Developing those Essential Experiences, of Muscle Memory, Confidence, Material Characteristics and Skills.
There are many Elements of your Pen that are Excellent, but my Eye's have Difficulty looking Past the Body Profiles.

My Comments and Critiques, are because I can see that you have a lot going for you. You just need to allow yourself to Develop, your Confidence and Experience Base, and Consciously try to reduce the Body Diameters.
A good way to do that, is to grab some firewood, or tree branches. Cut them to a Blank Profile.
Drill a hole the same or a clearance diameter to your Mandrell Diameter, Reverse the Bushings, so that the Large Diameter is in direct contact with the Blank, and what is the section that would normally go into the Tube of the Blank, is reversed, and pointing away from the Blank.
Then Lock up the Blank, and turn it to the same diameter as the Bushing.
It will not take you too long, do for as it takes for you to feel "at Home" and that you could almost do it with your eyes closed.
And you will not have spoiled any expensive Blanks.
But you will have gained a lot of the Necessary Experience and Confidence, in a Very Short Time.
I look forward to "Monitoring" your Development.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

I usually try to stay away from more bulbous pens when I plan on gifting them, but for anything I am going to keep for myself I try to make them very large.

In 2006 I damaged my right hand in an accident that required skin grafts. The largest graft is on my right index finger. While my finger is essentially void of any feeling now, I still use it as my "guiding finger" to write.

I find that a heavier and more bulbous pen allows me to grip better and provides more feel when writing. So, any pens you see me make that are on the fatter side are likely ones I keep for myself. If they come out skinnier, they go stocked away for gifts.

Funny thing is that I recently tried making Modified Slimline Pens and I think I've found a shape that really works with my busted hand:

IMG_4781.JPG

For some reason, it just seems to work with my numb and stiff index finger.

This has been the best part of getting into Pen Turning. I'm a lawyer by profession and being able to make a pen that works with my issue has been amazing. I never started turning trying to solve my problem, (I always just purchased fatter pens), but being able to custom make one to my own specs has been awesome!

Thanks for the insight! It's nice to be able to get such great feedback from a fellow turner.

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

Top Bottom