My First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Etumos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That pen is actually very nice !!!!

It is a kit with which I am not familiar .... what brand it is it, or where did you get it ?

Dehn0045

Very nice! Looks like the Berea Hardwoods slimline, I never knew what to do with the extra center band rings that they send with the order, but it adds a little character. Hang on to your first pen, I look at my first pen every once an a while -- it is a good reminder of my progress, but I also remember how happy I was when I first finished it. You will improve, but you are off to a great start!

Etumos

Thank you Sam. I will definitely be hanging on to this one.

Very nice! Looks like the Berea Hardwoods slimline, I never knew what to do with the extra center band rings that they send with the order, but it adds a little character. Hang on to your first pen, I look at my first pen every once an a while -- it is a good reminder of my progress, but I also remember how happy I was when I first finished it. You will improve, but you are off to a great start!

Etumos

Thank you Jim! I was a little worried about the CA finish which is part of my displeasure with the finished product. I need to figure out a better way to separate the bushings.

Much nicer than my first pen! Good job!

Etumos

Thanks for telling me the kit source. . It is a bit expensive for a slimline.

I do not disagree that it is a bit pricey, but that is Woodcraft. I think they will be good for local quick grabs, but I will definitely need to explore the IAP merchants.

My biggest goal was to get something that plating wear was less likely to 1) happen or 2) be noticeable if it did.

Woodchipper

That is a nice pen for your first one. Love the look of olive wood. I deal a lot with WC as some of their employees are also members of a local woodturning club.

magpens

Pricey for a slimline, but of superior quality because of the plating ... black titanium ... so no wonder. . I would buy it also because of that.

I notice that they do not have other platings for that particular style of pen ... that's a pity.

Thanks for telling me the kit source. . It is a bit expensive for a slimline.

I do not disagree that it is a bit pricey, but that is Woodcraft. I think they will be good for local quick grabs, but I will definitely need to explore the IAP merchants.

My biggest goal was to get something that plating wear was less likely to 1) happen or 2) be noticeable if it did.

Dehn0045

Thank you Jim! I was a little worried about the CA finish which is part of my displeasure with the finished product. I need to figure out a better way to separate the bushings.

A lot of folks use these when applying finish using a mandrel, I saw some improvement when I started using them. Also, TBC (turning between centers) is a good approach that solves many of the problems that mandrels cause - but has some of its own downsides. Here is a good place to start with TBC. This is the method that I now normally use when turning finishing.

Is the center band on that kit 3 separate pieces? If so, i think it might just be the Berea Hardwoods kit with additional "fancy" bands. I remember hearing that BH makes a lot of the WC kits. I could be wrong, but if I'm right you will get much better prices from BH (or the other suppliers on IAP that sell BH kits), and they are exactly the same.

OZturner

Terrific Pen Jason.
Excellent Olive Blank,
Beautifully Turned, and Nicely Finished.
You mentioned that you are having a problem separating the Blank from the Bushing due to the CA .
I suggest that you might like to get or make some of the Deldrin or HDPE Tapered Bushing with a 60 deg taper, and with the Hole to fit your Mandrel. Then when you have finished turning and sanding to your Diameter, take the Bushings out, and replace them with the Tapered Bushings, and then Put on your CA, it will not stick to the Tapered Bushings.
Well Done,
Brian

Etumos

Thank you to everyone for the input. You have given me some things to think about and some things to try. We will see what number 2 looks like.

sfhipchick

HEY! NICE JOB!!! Doesn't it feel spectacular to hold that pen in your hand and understand that you turned the wood? Congratulations, and welcome to the world of addicted pen turners! :)

Etumos

HEY! NICE JOB!!! Doesn't it feel spectacular to hold that pen in your hand and understand that you turned the wood? Congratulations, and welcome to the world of addicted pen turners! :)

It certainly does. I already have number 2 planned out :)

sfhipchick

:) I'm delighted for you! :)
You will soon have 50 billion pen blanks and not enough time to turn them all! :D
Then there will be the struggle of WHICH gets to be turned first?!
I am looking forward to your next gem! :)

Top Bottom