My First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from b52page

b52page

The blank on this Bolt Action pen is White Marble Simstone from WoodTurningz. This material is a little more brittle to turn than most other resin blanks according to my buddy (SteveAxelrod) who gave me my first lesson in pen turning today. Upon assembly the blank developed two small cracks, one at the top and one at the bottom. Never having had that problem in the many pens he's turned, my buddy thinks this was a factor of the Simstone...so no more Simstone blanks for me!

Despite the cracks, it was a fun experience and I can see how penturning can become an addiction!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Looks nice! My first attempt as Woodturningz simstone is similar. They SAY it is easy to turn--no, it isn't. Got mine done (Executive) and it cracks during assembly. I think I'm pretty much down with it for a while as well. To bad, as it does look spectacular.

Regards,
Michael

SteveAxelrod

Nice job turning your first pen today buddy! Sounds like others have had trouble with Simstone - you couldn't have done anything different to avoid the cracks other than choose a different material.

Let me know when you're ready to pick out your lathe! ;o)

magpens

First pen .... a Simstone ? . Wow ! . You are brave !!!! . Congratulations !!!!

OZturner

Great First Pen, Brian.
Beautiful Blank, and Superb Kit.
As suggested by liljohn1368, keeping the components true in line, is necessary.
Also I make a point before assembly of any Pen, I use a Countersink Burr, and give it a couple of twists, inside each end of the Brass Tube to remove any burr from dressing the blank to length.
Then I use a small Rat Tail File, and clear the ends of the tube of any glue, rubbish, dust or "crud" that may have got into the Tube.
Then a little Denatured Alcohol, to wash it away.
I am then assured that the Tube is clear and ready to accept the component, without incurring any undue stress or distortion of the Tube on assembly.

I suggest that you keep your first Pen, and use it to monitor your progress.

Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:

bpgoldo

Good job. If that is your first, then you have many handsome pens coming in your future. The sim-stone materials can be a challenge, but then any good education is worth the time and lesson. Don't let it discourage you from trying it again...and again...and again. You will find your own technique to make it work.

homemade

When cleaning out the tube for glue, I use a rifle or hand gun brass bore brush in my drill. I also do like what you do with the 3/4' countersink to bevel the inside edge.

elkhorn

Brian, great job! That's a pen to be proud of, especially for the first one. Like others have said, keep that one.

Top Bottom