My first pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cainmycoffee

cainmycoffee

It's pretty crap, but it functions...

It's lacewood. I was hoping to get more sense of depth on the finish. Maybe my next one :confused:

I need to learn photo techniques too... But I should probably get this pen making thing down first.

Attachments

• IMAG0355.jpg
    IMAG0355.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMAG0365.jpg
    IMAG0365.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 134
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Looks pretty good for a first try !! .. be proud of it !!

Of course, you started with the trickiest kit of them all, a slimline !!! :)

CREID

It doesn't look like crap to me. It actually looks pretty good for your first pen. And I agree with Magpens, Be Proud of it. Now take a look at it and don't be too hard on yourself and see how you can improve on the next one. And do keep in mind, the Slimlines are not the easiest pens to make, you did very well.

Curt

stonepecker

For your first pen it looks damn good.
Be sure to keep it and compare it to the ones you do 6 months from now.

You will improve with each pen. Never give this one away.
There will never be another like it.

Jack Parker

I agree with the other posters, I think that is a nice looking pen, first or fourty-first. Make sure that you keep it, and refer back to it later on. Keep up the good work!!

cainmycoffee

Thanks all, for the kind words and encouragement. I definitely plan to keep it as you've suggested. I'll probably keep any I make till I'm confident in the results.

Thanks, again.

Sabaharr

Critique it yourself with something other than "crap" because it isn't. Your barrels look very straight, that's great. Check to see if you can see any daylight between the wood and metal on the clip and tip ends. Also lightly rub your finger over these joints and see if you can feel any differences in height where the wood transitions to metal. Should not be able to tell by feel. As for the center band on slims it is a coin toss what diameter band you will get so be thankful if it doesn't show too bad or not at all. Great first effort. Just be more critical than the final owner and you won't have any problems.

SteveG

You have proven something to yourself...you can turn a nice pen. It IS a nice pen. So keep aiming high, as you are with seeking a finish with nice depth to it. You now have the basic set of skills to progress with future pen turning endeavors. So set you sights on the next area that you want to improve. There is much knowledge and experience available here at IAP. A little research will go a long way, and do not overlook the library! Many of us here are ready to answer your questions. Welcome, and very nice work on this one!

Sataro

Nothing wrong with that pen! Looks good and being your 1st pen that even makes it more special.

CREID

How did you do your finish?

I finished with OB's Shine Juice friction polish, buffed out with White Diamond compound, then carnauba wax. (Didn't want to jump right into CA finishing).

Thanks again, everyone. I think I'll make another today.

Oh hell, jump in.:biggrin:
You will never be more happy than when you figure it out. It is these little challenges in life that makes things interesting. And it really ain't that hard.

Curt

Top Bottom