My first Over & Under pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbswearingen

jbswearingen

The PR pen was commissioned when somebody saw the casting I made; the corn cob is waiting for an owner to speak up and pay the ransom.

:biggrin:

(edit)

Just realized I forgot to add the border to the first image. Dunno how to delete and reload it.

Attachments

• DPP_0812.jpg
    DPP_0812.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 275
  • DPP_0813.jpg
    DPP_0813.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 206
  • DPP_0814.jpg
    DPP_0814.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 175
  • DPP_0816.jpg
    DPP_0816.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 282
  • DPP_0819.jpg
    DPP_0819.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

Nice! They're nice sized pens and look great!

I jumped in and made my first three at once back around Thanksgiving and really like the looks of them.

jbswearingen

Nice sized? Man, they're HUGE! Way too big for me to comfortably write with, but they do offer a lot of acreage to show off the blank. I told the buyer of the PR one that if it's too big, she can return it for a refund or credit against a smaller one; she bought it sight unseen after seeing the blank and then an example of the pen. She loves the way it looks now and hopes it'll work.

jbswearingen

Take a brad, grind the head off, and then tap it into a board (maple in this case). Bend the brad over a bit, take the cartridge out of the pen, and insert the brad into the tip. Adjust the angle of the bend to get the "lay" you want.

Cool pen! What are you using for a stand?

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

Sent from my Galaxy player using Forum Runner

Thanks I will have to try that. How do I do it with a fountain pen?

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

jbswearingen

Thanks I will have to try that. How do I do it with a fountain pen?

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

For that, I can't help you. I rarely turn fountain pens, and when I do, I use an acrylic stand to show them off.

(edit)

Don't bend the brad with the pen mounted on it; you might damage the tip.

76winger

Nice sized? Man, they're HUGE! Way too big for me to comfortably write with, but they do offer a lot of acreage to show off the blank. I told the buyer of the PR one that if it's too big, she can return it for a refund or credit against a smaller one; she bought it sight unseen after seeing the blank and then an example of the pen. She loves the way it looks now and hopes it'll work.

At least for me, the trick to using the big pens like this is to sit the cap on the desk when writing. Then they're quite comfortable to hold and a joy to use.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

SDB777

Reminds me, I got a bunch of corn cobs hidden somewhere around here....and seeing this just might have been the motivation I needed to actually using a few!

Awesome turnings!

Scott (big too) B

Top Bottom