My first one piece Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sabaharr

Sabaharr

I had heard about this and decided to give it a try. The hardest part is drilling the blank. There is a machine shop where I work and for years I have been picking up their old drill bits. I found a .272" in my stash and it miced out to exactly the same as a 7mm. My drill press has a bout a 2.5 inch stroke and the blank is over 4 inches long, 1/2 inch square. No room for misalignment with barely a 1/16 inch material to play with all around. It was unchuck the bit and pull everything out over and over, then at the bottom I was raising and lowering the table for each bit cleanout. I got about 1/8 inch drilled per cleanout, maybe less, before it started protesting and binding. Anyway here is the result. I like how it turned out and will definitely be doing many more. After all, I have over 400 corian blanks left.

Attachments

• One Piece Slimline.jpg
    One Piece Slimline.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

Congrats on the accomplishment. I know from personal experience the challenges involved in drilling the blank for a one-peice slimline when the drill press only has a 2-inch spindle throw. I don't think I'd even attempt with 12 mm corian, or even 1/2" stock with my current or previous set up.

Nice job on the pen.

Top Bottom