My first Olivewood (BOW)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KKingery

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKingery

This is my first attempt at using BOW. It's made using a slimline kit from CSUSA. For someone that isn't overly fond of olives, this was a true turning experiment. Good Lord this stuff does smell like olives! This one isn't for sale - it's a gift.

200522214747_1st%20Olivewood.jpg

Any comments are welcome. - Thanks, Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very nice Ken, glad you made it back into the shop and started to make some pens, to pay for your new truck [:D]

Anthony

dougle40

Nice looking pen Ken . I just drilled amd glued up my first piece of BOW tonight . It must have had a crack in it because it split on me while I was drilling . Luckily the piece only split and didn't break , so I parted the split a bit and put some thick CA into it and clamped it up . Hopefully it won't blow up tomorrow when I turn it .

Gary

Been there and done that Doug. As you turn through that split area, be sure and add some thin CA. It will help you get through it without a breakout.

KKingery

Well, I've got 4 more blanks on-hand, and another five on order. This particular blank that I used, looked to be the plainest of the 5. From the outside, it really was'nt anything spectacular.

Lou

<s>Ken</s> Ooopppsss! Doug--although Bethlehem olive wood appears benign, it is fairly susceptible to blow out if much heat builds up. Being extremely oily, the heat expands the oil and...BAM! Take it just a little slower and clear the drill more frequently than with more traditional hardwoods.

G

The first pens I turned were out of BOW.I dare say yours cam out much better.
I tought all wood turned like BOW(wrong)
If you want to try something else that turns as sweet as BOW try bocote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom