My First Non Kauri Keyring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaurikid

Kaurikid

Brazialn Rosewood, Rewarewa and Ebony this time....

The kit was a Woodcraft but I thought the tension spring was too strong and a female nail breaker so I replaced it for a more friendly one.

I'm now in the process of replacing my Hobbymat lathe's main bearings so no turning for a day or 3.

And I was really enjoying this hobby along with all you nice people :)

Regards
Steve

Attachments

• DSCF0067 A.jpg
    DSCF0067 A.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 206
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
That looks great - did you run out of Kauri?:)

Seriously though, I've really enjoyed seeing your Kauri projects & looking forward to seeing more. Congratulations on your direct source to some nice New Zealand wood - you did get some great wood from your son!

Kaurikid

Thanks for the encouraging words. As for running out of Swamp Kauri, last year I imported 500 kilos of stump/root because of its amazing grain. The thought of a dining room and coffee table had come to mind plus a few other things for friends and family. Now with the turning I've stopped wondering what to do with all of those off cuts. You're quite right it is great having a family member close to wood.

Another plus is having a Chinese friend who owns one of the biggest flooring companies in South China so you can imagine the access I have to many kinds of hardwood. You'd weep at the amount of exotic wood pieces they throw away. If it was possible I would send it all to you guys.

The pictures are of a couple of my recent kauri projects. The BSaw box is a block of kauri with ebony rosewood draw pulls. The 91 abacus beads are African Mahogany and the brass work I made myself except the rails.

Regards
Steve

Attachments

• Penturners Abacus.jpg
    Penturners Abacus.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Penturners Box.jpg
    Penturners Box.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 120

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Those are two really nice projects & that is one awesome block of wood.
Thanks for sharing.

Trey

Wow. The segmenting is so pure and crisp I'm completely blown away! The other projects just make me wish for a small piece of your talent, and a fraction of your access to wood!

Kaurikid

Thanks for all the compliments it sure is encouraging when other pen makers praise what you're trying hard to perfect. I've looked at just a fraction of what's available to admire on this site and everyone is sure doing such a grand job.

I'm lucky because my previous hobby of 40 years was building large RC aircraft so my workshop was more or less complete before I started woodwork. Also I come from a lifelong career in the aircraft documentation business so engineering went with it. So I know how it helps when you have the tools to do a job but I'm still amazed at what some of you guys can create with less. Amazing!

So yes Trey I am lucky to have such access to all of these things.

Regards

Steve

Top Bottom