My First Navigator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toddlajoie

toddlajoie

This is my first try at a Woodcraft Navigator. I had tried several other cap styles (Classic American and Euro Screwcap) and had mixed results between cutting the tennon and having to park my car on top of them to get the cap posts seated all the way (I was sure the wood was going to break LONG before the black post was seated completely...) In the end, even when they came out right, I was less than impressed by the pen, which suprised me considering the Euro is my favorite 7mm kit. So in looking for a nicer capped style, I gave the navigator a shot, and I love the kit. It's a comfortable size, and it looks fantastic, especially dressed up in Exotic Blank's fantastic acrylic (Bronze Fire in this case..) Thanks for looking, all comments and criticism cheerfully accepted, and remember, no charge for the fingerprints...

bronze_fire_navigator_01.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

This and the Sedona are my 2 favorite rollerball kits so far. The Baron dressed in African Blackwood makes an elegant pen.

wb7whi

This and the Sedona are my 2 favorite rollerball kits so far. The Baron dressed in African Blackwood makes an elegant pen.

It took a year but my african blackwood sierra cracked.

Wood! What ya goinna do?

jskeen

Welcome to the world of Higher end Pen Kits. The baron/navigator are the first really good quality pens I tried, too, and I still have or see a few of them around, and they are still going strong. Once you get used to that level of quality, it's very difficult to go back. Now you just need to find a way to get your hands on a jr gent and you'll be spoiled for sure. Enjoy!

Paladin

Acrylic?

Wonderful pen, and I'm surprised that it's an acrylic.. Wonderful blank, i'd love to know where you got it.

He got it here http://www.exoticblanks.com/ and I don't think it is acrylic. I think it is polyresin.

You should check out the site...Ed Brown is a big supporter of the IAP and has fantastic stuff. Great quality and super service. I buy everything I can from this site...no need for me to go elsewhere. Plus, they are local and I get my stuff overnight.

Marc Ward
Brookfield, WI

toddlajoie

Thanks for all the nice comments folks!!!

Now you just need to find a way to get your hands on a jr gent and you'll be spoiled for sure. Enjoy!

I actually just did a Jr. Gent with spalted hackberry (haven't had a chance to shoot it yet...) and I have to say, I and everyone I have asked so far, side by side, like the Navigator better than the Gent. I do prefer the round profile of the writing end versus the faceted profile of the navigator from a visual perspective (hand feel, both are fine) but for me the Gent is just that little bit too large, while the navigator feels just right. I'm also not sure if it's just this one particular Gent, but it is a little hesitant to start threading when closing the cap. It threads on the post end just fine, but is hanging up on something when closing the pen, but even beyond this point, the Navigator threads feel much smoother, and the metal threads of the Gent are one of the visual points that I liked about the pen...

Top Bottom