My first modified Slimline...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

...but most certainly not my last! An extra special thanks to Mark James not only for his posts on these but for taking the time to answer my questions and pointing me in the direction of some guides on modifying slimlines. Since this was a test run I used one of the first blanks I ever cast, which I thought was ugly. Ugly duckling maybe, but I'm happy with how it looks finished. I cast the blank with Silmar 41, used Castin' Craft opaque dyes, then added some pizzazz with Pearl Ex macropearl powder. I think the micropearl would be better but I was brand new to casting when I bought it, and Michael's didn't have the micro anyhow. There's also an air pocket (I didn't have vacuum or a pressure pot then) that I cleverly hid using the latest in modern stealth technology, ie the clip covers it. I cast 2.5 penblanks from Alumilite white which is what I used for the centerband. I also have some cutoffs which will be used for future pens along with the Alumilite. Like many, slims were the first few pens I turned, and I quickly learned to hate them. This has renewed my interest, and I will be using up my remaining kits instead of letting them sit in a drawer waiting for some day when I have absolutley nothing else to do. This mod was a fairly easy and straightforward one to make, and imo really dresses up a Slimline into quite an attractive pen. Thanks Mark!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mighty nice Jay. I take no credit for simply shuffling you to Don Ward's tutorials!

But, I suspect you found out, as did I, that the hard part was to simply start. After that it is a really nice and simple modification.

Nothing wrong with that blank either.

Well done. That's is a great looking pen.

Mighty nice Jay. I take no credit for simply shuffling you to Don Ward's tutorials!

But, I suspect you found out, as did I, that the hard part was to simply start. After that it is a really nice and simple modification.

Nothing wrong with that blank either.

Well done. That's is a great looking pen.

Thanks Mark. And yes, once you get started it's all downhill from there. I glued this up, squared it, and drilled the centerband in between making two pens as gifts for my coworkers. I couldn't wait to turn it today!

OZturner

Nice Modified Slimline's Jay.
Like your Custom Center Band,
Excellent Fit and Finish, on your Cast Blanks.
As the Pens are modified, have you thought of Taking the lower Blank to the Diameter of the Center Band. It could take it to the next Level.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thank you gentlemen! It was a fun and easy mod to do.

Nice Modified Slimline's Jay.
Like your Custom Center Band,
Excellent Fit and Finish, on your Cast Blanks.
As the Pens are modified, have you thought of Taking the lower Blank to the Diameter of the Center Band. It could take it to the next Level.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thanks Brian The lower barrel actually slides up into the cb, like a euro, flat top, sculpted, etc. Two holes are drilled in the cb, one to slide it on the tube and glue it to the upper blank, the other in the bottom to fit the lower barrel. My poor photography skills probably don't make that obvious.

Top Bottom