My first Majestic Jr.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TexasTaxi

TexasTaxi

About two months ago, I got my first order for a "real" pen. By that I mean a pen that's more than $50. The guy only told me that he wanted something that a woman would like, the trim needed to be silver, and he wanted some kind of figured, redish wood. About that same time, Texatdurango posted some amboyna burl blanks. I saved the picture and sent it to my customer, along with a stock picture of the Majestic Jr. kit. He replied with a simple "YES!"

It took a while for me to get into the shop to get it done. To say I was a bit nervous drilling a $20 blank, for a $30 kit was an understatement. I took it slow and I think it turned out nice. It's sealed with 6 coats of thin CA/BLO and sanded to 15000 micromesh (or whatever the highest one is).

As always, my pictures suck, but I think you'll get the idea.
Comments and critiques are always welcome.

tjm1.JPGtjm2.JPGtjm3.JPGtjm4.JPG
tjm5.JPGtjm6.JPGtjm7.JPG

Special thanks to Texatdurango for selling these awesome blanks ... and especially for the surprise (an extra blank) that he put in my box!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

This is why amboyna burl is by far my favorite material for making a stunning pen!

I noticed right off that you didn't wind up with the typical glossy finish with your ca. It almost looks like there is no finish at all and has a low sheen "natutal" looking feel to it. However you did it, Good Job, it looks very nice!

wiset1

This turned out fantastic! But I have to ask...$20 for a 3/4 x 5 1/2" blank of Amboyna...? Tell me you got 5 to 10 blanks for that price. I recently hit the e auction site and bought 20 Amboyna blanks for $42 and they were very rich and figured. Just thought other options would work for you as well.

The pen looks amazing though!

Top Bottom