My First M3 Kitless Pen - Help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JJturns

JJturns

This is the first pen I have ever made and I don't know much about making pens. It is made of M3 and finished to a standard polish without clear coat. I also don't know much about taking photographs of pens. I need some help and constructive criticism regarding any and all elements of this pen. I have only been a member a short time but long enough to know there are a lot of talented knowledgeable people here. So please give me your honest opinion (good and bad), no sugar needed and I promise no hard feelings.
Thank you all!
JJ

Attachments

• IMG_2615.JPG
    IMG_2615.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_2629.JPG
    IMG_2629.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

If this is your first pen , then your off to a spectacular start . About the only thing that I would have done differently would be to loose the posting end and make the barrel a little longer , but that is very subjective . I don't really like postable pens , I feel they get too long and unbalanced when posted . I like the blank , which one of the M3's is it ?

JJturns

Thanks guys, please keep the suggestions coming.
Butch, I just saw the awesome pen you posted, Wow. The M3 blank is their Galactic Bronze/Gunsmoke Galaxy. It is a real white bronze that doesn't tarnish and the specs in it look like little diamond chips. My poor photography doesn't really do it justice.

ldb2000

Something that may help your photos a little is a program called Irfanview www.irfanview.com . It's a very powerful image editing program that can help in getting your pictures a little better . It can crop and resize and do brightness and color corrections and a whole lot more . It's almost as powerful as photoshop but allot easier to learn and use and best of all .... It's Free !!!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
This is the first pen I have ever made and I don't know much about making pens. It is made of M3 and finished to a standard polish without clear coat. I also don't know much about taking photographs of pens. I need some help and constructive criticism regarding any and all elements of this pen. I have only been a member a short time but long enough to know there are a lot of talented knowledgeable people here. So please give me your honest opinion (good and bad), no sugar needed and I promise no hard feelings.
Thank you all!
JJ
Did I read this right ? First pen ever made ? :eek: That's almost unbelievable . However , it is a beauty ! Thanks for sharing it with us ! :redface:

JJturns

Thank you Butch, that looks much, much better.

Skiprat, that piece is M3 Stainless Steel.

Cris, it was easy to drill and thread using standard tools and my cheep lathe.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Very nicely done! I like the postable pens, but only if it enhances the balance of the pen while in your hand. If this one is M3, It might be a little heavy with the cap posted, but if it is balanced with the cap on, I say more power to ya!

Awesome job!

fernhills

Nice pen. I can appreciate the work that goes into making your own kitless pen. I noticed you are from Easton, and here i thought i was only one in the Valley that made pens. If you need anything i am here. Carl

JJturns

Rojo22, I got lucky this one seems to balance ok but I appreciate you thought. I really need to keep this in mind for the next design.

Carl, thank you. I will keep your very kind offer in mind.

Thank you all for the comments and observations, please keep them coming and tell me what I could have done better and/or different.
JJ

handplane

If this is really your first pen you are way farther along the learning curve than a lot of us. I like the way it looks but am not crazy about the posting end. Just my $.02.

I'm in the process of doing my first kitless and it takes a lot of planning to pull it off right.

JJturns

Bryant, I thank you for your 2 cents worth. I'm looking forward to seeing your first kitless pen.

I value everyones comments good or bad. It is one of the best ways for me to improve since this really is my first pen.

There are a few things I don't like about it either but I don't want to influence anyone.

Thank you,
JJ

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
This is the first pen I have ever made and I don't know much about making pens.

Wow!

Actually, I like pens that post . . . as long as its well balanced when it is posted. Your pen here looks like it may be well balanced posted. How do YOU feel about using it posted or not?

I like the design. It adds a simplicity and class which compliments the material used.

As for the photo, you might use a darker background to show off the light materials.

Outstanding!

JJturns

Thank you Cathy. I got lucky with this one because it is well balanced even when posted. I agree with you about the background too.
Thanks again,
JJ

mickr

First Pen? YIKES OUTSTANDING don't care if it posts or doesn't post, it's a terrific first pen..maybe you could help us get better as you get better

MHKogan

WOW, what a great example of your work. While that might be your first pen it is certainly not your first project. Your high level of skill and craftsmanship are most evident.

It is clear from your photo's that you were able to obtain a near flawless gem quality finish. I know that there are many forum members that are wondering how difficult it is to obtain a finish like that with M3? Perhaps you can elaborate.

I would like to request your permission to use photos of your pen on our website www.MetalPenBlanks.com . Your pen is a perfect example of what can be created with M3.

We would be happy to have the pen professionally photographed for you if you are willing to send it to us for a few days. Please email me and let me know info@MetalPenBlanks.com .

Top Bottom