My first Lucite.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 3Peake

3Peake

This is the first piece of lucite I've ever turned, it's the saphire blue lucite and it tried to fight me just as I was getting down towards the bushings.I snagged my skew and ripped a chunk off:mad:so it got left on the workbench until I decided to bite the bullet and buy some aluminium to make a full pen - which then gave me the idea to make the tip from ally and put a band in the top end from beer cans:biggrin:.
I think it's my favourite to date, comments and critiques welcomed but thanks for looking.
Picture408-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alfa189

First off, way to recover from a blowout. Secondly, BEAUTIFUL pen. And lastly, BRILLIANT IDEA using beer cans for the aluminum. I'm new to the forum, so maybe this is an old trick, but this is the first I'm hearing of it. I've been wondering where I was going to find thin metal inserts. This is awesome. Thanks for sharing! :bananen_smilies046:

elody21

the aluminum looks great with the pen!
I use a 1" roughing gouge very sharp. I used to use a skew until a friend I was teaching to turn insisted on using the large gouge. I was hooked.
If the lucite is soft I have placed the blank in the freezer first before drilling and then before turning.
Beautiful Job!
Alice

drgoretex

Comments and critiques?

Comment: Beautiful! The combo of aluminum and chrome with the deep blue is breathtakingly stunning.

Critique: None, really - except that the picture is too small and dark. Would love to see a bigger, well-lit photo to show off such a gorgeous piece of work!

Ken

Top Bottom