My First Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ribanett

ribanett

This is the first Celtic Knot I've made. The inlay is from an old Sam's gift card and AL shim stock. The kerf of my TS is to wide so I had to use my miter box to cut the blank. I still have to work at getting the hole drilled dead center. The cuts were made at 35deg.

I had just finished taking these pictures when LOML came into the shop and claimed ownership. Oh well, thats the way things go sometimes.

Attachments

• Sierras 025_edited.jpg
    Sierras 025_edited.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 270
  • Sierras 028_edited.jpg
    Sierras 028_edited.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 228
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

Wow, never thought to use my chop saw for knots. That is very nice.

BTW - Get used to the better half claiming pens. It will happens a lot.

Last edited:

VisExp

Larry, that's a nice looking pen. Even more impressive if you made the cuts by hand on a miter box!

If you want to get a table saw blade with a thin kerf, try a 7 1/4" circular saw blade. I use one made by Freud on my table saw for some of my segmenting. You loose some on the depth of cut because of the blade diameter, but that is not a problem as most of the material you'll be cutting is less than an inch thick.

As far as drilling the hole dead center, the most accurate method is to turn the blank to 3/4" round, mount it in a collet chuck on the lathe and drill on the lathe starting your drilling with a center drill.

ribanett

Yes I cut this knot by hand

Larry, that's a nice looking pen. Even more impressive if you made the cuts by hand on a miter box!

If you want to get a table saw blade with a thin kerf, try a 7 1/4" circular saw blade. I use one made by Freud on my table saw for some of my segmenting. You loose some on the depth of cut because of the blade diameter, but that is not a problem as most of the material you'll be cutting is less than an inch thick.

As far as drilling the hole dead center, the most accurate method is to turn the blank to 3/4" round, mount it in a collet chuck on the lathe and drill on the lathe starting your drilling with a center drill.

Keith,
I wanted to try and make a knot with thin elements, the practice blanks I have done were all cut on my TS with a 1/16 kerf blade. A few years ago I bought a miter saw (not really a miter box) at a garage sale for I think 5 bucks and it was just collecting dust on the top shelf. The blade is 0.04" thick, making for a very thin kerf. It only takes about a minute to make a cut and I can vary the angle to whatever I want. Also no fear of a blade spinning at 5000 rpm.

I turn my pens on an old South Bend metal lathe I got from my father about 20 years ago. I have a self-centering 4-jaw chuck on order. I hope that will take care of the centering problem.

Everybody, thanks for the comments,

Attachments

• Sierras.jpg
    Sierras.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 85
Top Bottom