My First Kitless Slim Click Pen - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Show Off Your Pens!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Show Off Your Pens! Let's see your best work!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 63

No attempt to color the aluminum, Gary. . The color is a photographic artifact and not real. . I don't understand how it came about but then I don't understand lighting for photography either.

As for the polishing there are a couple of options. . First, Silvo or probably Brasso metal polishes will do it ... there are others also specifically for metals.

I think I will probably try Mequiar's automotive cut polish to remove the fine scratches, followed by Novus 3 and then Novus 2 and then finally Mequiar's Plastix maybe, although that is not designed for metals. . That is my usual procedure with acrylics

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 12

I like the threaded nose cone. Apparently necessary for your design to work, but even when it isn't necessary I think it's a nice feature. One of the reasons why I like the Zen kit, you can flip the barrel without disassembling, but I digress. Nice looking "Parker slim" you have there Mal. I wonder if the manufacturers could make a 7mm version of the Stratus, where the click mechanism and end cap are a single piece. This would allow for a typical wood dressing. Anyway, well done and keep it up Mal.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thank you, Sam !

Interesting thought about the Stratus ... but I don't think manufacturers pay any attention to what pen turners really want !!

Advertisement
Old 03-22-2018, 03:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Well I've tried to follow this but my skills obviously lack in this direction, it's all way above my head I take my hat off to you Mal.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
DJBPenmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

I wouldn't say that, Derek. . It is like so many other things ... once you get stuck into it you realize what you can and can't do, you do what you have to do, and it all works out when the constraints are recognized and dealt with. . Don't forget that I had been thinking about this for several days ... probably longer ... and the steps eventually became clearer as I went along. . If you have any questions be sure to ask. . Thanks for the kind words.

And don't forget ... the goal of this presentation was not a perfect realization of the objective, but just a step in the right direction which can be improved upon.

I left some things undone and "rushed to press" because I didn't want people who had contributed to the earlier thread to forget about what they had contributed, or think that I had. . So I wanted to get more feedback about the project by showing a nearly finished possibility for a pen.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinohio View Post
Very nice Mal! Interesting way of approaching the nose cone idea. For the clip, since you are using the slim line diameter, couldn't you just use a clip from a slimline?

Oh, and sorry for stealing your second post!
Yes indeed, you could do that, Lewis. But you have to drill out the hole.
You don't have much material width; ie. the hole you need is not much smaller than the diameter of the clip support ring.

I think this would be very tricky to do successfully.
Oh yeah, I forgot you were using the collar from the pro kit!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Nice work Mal. Im looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
Reducing that clip diameter will be interesting. Id think a mill would be the tool.
You may be able to save some time by starting with aluminum tubing. I have used some that is roughly .311 OD x .240 ID.
PatrickR is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

That specific size tubing would not work, Patrick, because it would need to be bored out to an ID of 0.295" at each end to accept the nose_cone_coupler (at one end) and the click mechanism (other end). . The resulting wall thickness would be only half of 0.311 - 0.295 = 0.008" and that would destabilize and crack in the drilling process.

Of course, a tube of OD 0.33" is really what is needed. If that size is available, then, after the boring, the wall thickness would be 0.017" and that might we able to withstand the stresses of drilling.

If you can, please suggest a source for aluminum tubing of such sizes.

If Al (or other) tubing of a little bigger than OD 0.311" is indeed available to me, then it could be used in the manner that brass tubing is used for pens (ie. glued inside a wood or acrylic blank) and that would strengthen the tube for careful drilling and might allow my type of pen to "wear" a wood or acrylic dressing.

That would be an interesting challenge !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickR View Post
Nice work Mal. Im looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
Reducing that clip diameter will be interesting. Id think a mill would be the tool.
You may be able to save some time by starting with aluminum tubing. I have used some that is roughly .311 OD x .240 ID.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 5

You may be able to use a small boring bar it gently increase the ID of the tube at the ends for couplers. Could you thread the rod/tube instead of using a coupler?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Here is suitable tube, I think.
0.375" OD X 0.049" 2024-T3 Bare Drawn Aluminum Tube - Online Metal Store

some in 6061
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=71&top_cat=60

Last edited by stuckinohio; 03-22-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added link
stuckinohio is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads