My first Kitless pen!!! I am soo pumped.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crabcreekind

crabcreekind

Ok so this is my first kitless pen. I made the section using the schmidt nib and feed from IDP. I learned a lot! I know a bunch of stuff I will do different. I made all the tenons and drilling on my little metal lathe. It worked out good. Overall it took me about 10 hours in total to make this pen. Next time, hopefully I can get it down to 5. I decided to not get a 14mm tap and die, as it would be monster. even though 1/2 is pretty big still. 1/2 = 12.7mm so, it was just about right for me. Not to small and not too big.
I used the Diane clip from IDP, I believe in rhodium.

Section/body threads- 10x1

Cap/body threads - 1/2 20nf ( turns out my dad had a 1/2 die that was 1 inch round)

End/Cap Threads - 8 x .75

I definitely could have not been able to make this pen without this forum. Any suggestions on how I could make the my next one better? And as always C&C on this pen too. :biggrin:

Attachments

• 100_7046.jpg
    100_7046.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 100_7044.jpg
    100_7044.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 100_7045.jpg
    100_7045.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_7047.jpg
    100_7047.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_7048.jpg
    100_7048.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It does look good. I like the use what you have attitude. The only thing I see is to me the cap looks a little long. Just a matter of personal taste. What was it like doing the hidden clip. I'm thinking of trying something like that. Anything I should know?

crabcreekind

It does look good. I like the use what you have attitude. The only thing I see is to me the cap looks a little long. Just a matter of personal taste. What was it like doing the hidden clip. I'm thinking of trying something like that. Anything I should know?

I also agree on the cap being too long, that was one of the things I am going to change next time. The hidden clip is really easy. All you do it take a flat drill bit that is about the diameter of the ring on the clip, and recess it. Then after you turn your cap to size. take a dremel or file and make a slot for the clip to fit through. But test it alot. You dont want to go too far.

InvisibleMan

Well, I'd say "nice first effort", but it's a nice effort no matter how many you've done. Looks great to me - nice job:biggrin:

Top Bottom