My first kitless! (To own, anyway - I didn't make it...)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pianomanpj

pianomanpj

My first kitless! Well, technically, it's my first kitless that I own, but it was Jonathon Brooks that made this little beauty. My level of involvement included selecting the blank and bits and pieces to complete this gem.

I was fortunate enough to spend some time with Jonathon and his family earlier this month in South Carolina, and he was gracious enough to give me a primer in building a kitless pen, and this was the end result. Not only is this my favorite pen, but it will be my study guide when I take the kitless plunge.

Thank you, Jonathon! This pen rocks!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie69

Gorgeous!! I'm a complete rookie to kitless pens and love to see them posted here. Working on my 2nd pen now and am trying to keep the number of turns it takes to twist the cap on to a minimum. Can I ask how many turns it takes to twist the cap on yours. To my eye it looks like you have a lot of threads but you probably used triple starts so that would reduce the number of turns.

How cool is it that you were able to go to S.C. and glean some kitless making skills from Jonathon.

pianomanpj

Gorgeous!! I'm a complete rookie to kitless pens and love to see them posted here. Working on my 2nd pen now and am trying to keep the number of turns it takes to twist the cap on to a minimum. Can I ask how many turns it takes to twist the cap on yours. To my eye it looks like you have a lot of threads but you probably used triple starts so that would reduce the number of turns.

How cool is it that you were able to go to S.C. and glean some kitless making skills from Jonathon.

I believe that you are correct in that it is a triple-start. It took about 1.5 turns to take the cap off.

Charlie69

Thank you! I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy some triple starts although it feels a bit crazy because I give these things away. I see that there are a lot of threads on the section but after looking at the cap pic again I noticed that Jonathon cut a tenon on the inside of it also. Tenon inside cap=fewer turns, plus the triple starts explains 1.5 turns. Nice.

Be nice if we could post kitless pics in the advanced turning forum so the pics wouldn't move on so fast and folks could ask and answer questions about the pens.

Last edited:

Brooks803

I'm glad it arrived safe and sound! It's too bad we didn't get to finish it while you were here.

Feb will be here before you know it and we'll go get that BBQ that we missed out on last time. Not to mention Sushi!!

pianomanpj

I'm glad it arrived safe and sound! It's too bad we didn't get to finish it while you were here.

Feb will be here before you know it and we'll go get that BBQ that we missed out on last time. Not to mention Sushi!!

I'm really looking forward to that BBQ, and there is NO WAY I'm returning home without going back to that sushi bar first! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Is it February yet?... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom