My First Kitless - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Show Off Your Pens!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Show Off Your Pens! Let's see your best work!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 10

Cool My First Kitless

First things first: A huge shout out to MRedburn! I messaged him with several questions and he was incredibly helpful. Thanks again!

This is my first attempt at a kitless pen. I made the blank using alumilite and pearl ex powders. The nib is a #6 Jowo stub from Meisternibs. I used a 9MM X 0.75 die for the section/body threads. I used a 12MM X 0.75 for the body/cap threads. I didn't have all the exact drill bits so I used the next closest thing I had.

I'm not exactly happy with the way my first attempt turned out. It is more aesthetic than functional. The section feels a little weak and it isn't completely round. One of the biggest struggles I had was finding something to hold the parts while I turned them. I have since purchased a few really nice custom kitless mandrels from Rherrell.
The proportions of the pen also feel off. The cap is much larger than I feel like it should be. It needed to be this long though to accommodate the nib and section.
I used George Butcher's tutorial found in the library called "Making a Fountain Pen Section" as a guide to make the section. The front section was BY FAR the hardest part of the pen. It seems like I made it too long and it threw off the dimensions of the rest of the pen. It's a work in progress I guess!

Comments and criticism are always welcome. Let me know what you think and ideas to improve. I enjoy the challenge and I look forward to making many more of these.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc_1081.jpg   dsc_1084.jpg  
Racer3770 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

The thing that struck me is that pen intends to write!!!!!
Old 02-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 46

Congratulations, James for Diving in at the Deep End, and thanks, for acknowledging the Assistance received from Various members.
Yes, the Section is a little on the Long side, But is still Functional, and Aesthetically Good.
Your Profile is Excellent, and I don't mind the length of the Cap, it is still Proportional.
Excellent Choice of Blank, and the Machining looks Good.
A Fantastic First.
Well Done,
Brian.

OZturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2017, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I say you did great. I hope my first kitless is half as good!

Lewis
Old 03-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 14

Congrats for your first kitless!
I agree with you and would say the section is too long. Especially with Jowo, you can make much shorter ones: where the inside threads ends, add 2 mm and start the tenon for the barrel.
Another thing is that you reduce diameter at every junction. Consider making it bigger.
Hope it helps!
Pierre--- is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a 4 jaw chuck on my lathe and I am able to kitless pens alright with just that. A lot of people use collet chucks for the section, which seems helpful, but not essential. A good 4 jaw chuck will go a long way I think (but that's all I have so I can't comment on better options!)
rhall_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre--- View Post
Another thing is that you reduce diameter at every junction. Consider making it bigger.
Hope it helps!
Thanks for the advice and kind words! What did you mean by this?
Old 03-02-2017, 05:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 14

The thinner part of your section is where it meets the barrel (or at least it is thinner there that in the middle of the section). The cap is also thinner where it meets the barrel. It gives a sensation of visual fragility because one would expect to have strength there, i.e. thick diameter.
I do not say it is a poor design in itself, it even could be interesting if you want to give a sensation of elegance and delicacy, but you may consider doing otherwise: fragility and delicacy are not so distant...
Hope I am clearer.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre--- View Post
The thinner part of your section is where it meets the barrel (or at least it is thinner there that in the middle of the section). The cap is also thinner where it meets the barrel. It gives a sensation of visual fragility because one would expect to have strength there, i.e. thick diameter.
I do not say it is a poor design in itself, it even could be interesting if you want to give a sensation of elegance and delicacy, but you may consider doing otherwise: fragility and delicacy are not so distant...
Hope I am clearer.

Oh I see. You are definitely correct. The section does feel pretty weak when I write with it. I stopped because I was afraid it would break. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Solid advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Old 03-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Very nice work!