My First Kit-Mod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnGreco

JohnGreco

First off a big Thank You to the IAP members. Talk about inspiring! I feel like as a pen turner I have really found 'my people' :)

Now onto the mod. I wanted to do a single tube style and followed the guide in the Library for the Slimline Pro. I had planned on using Zebrawood at first, I think the lines would look really great running the entire length of a full size pen. But then I stumbled onto a piece of boxelder burl. How could I NOT go with the burl?

Since I knew this would appeal mostly to guys with the color scheme (the burl is dyed black & gold with black TN hardware) I decided to really push this kit to its limits. I made the wood as thick as it could handle, and although I LOVE the feel, I think I'd probably go a bit thinner next time.

Thanks for looking, thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_5392a.jpg
    IMG_5392a.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 379
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

Beautiful wood! I agree with your a little thinner comments - you can see the clip is bent back - the pen would look more graceful etc if it were a bit thinner

Drstrangefart

I always use the clip's capabilities as the guideline for how thick I can make one. It takes a little practice. Your work still looks good, and probably has a great weight to it, which should make writing pretty comfortable.

GrantH

blow her apart, chuck her back up, and thin her down a bit if that's what you truly want to do! it looks nice how it is but a bit thinner would take it even further! beautiful wood too. i've got some here I believe.

JohnGreco

I had tested the fit for the back end of the clip, but failed to take into consideration the bead on the underside of the clip end :(

I tried to disassemble but due to the mods had some difficulty. I've been working on manipulating the clip itself and it's looking a bit better...I'll get a new shot up once it's closer to where I'd like it.

Size-wise, it feels REALLY good in my hand :)

I'm not a Slimline fan, but that's about the nicest one I've seen! Frankly, I wouldn't change the profile, especially if you can modify the clip profile so it follows the curve of the pen body. I bet it feels good in your hand. Love the burl. Good choice.

Top Bottom