My first "keeper".

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GrantH

GrantH

Welp, I've done it. I made my first pen worth keeping!

It's just a slimline, but I like it and it's going to a buddy of mine out in Denver that I promised this piece of wood to. It's Desert Iron Wood, from BSea here on the forum.

403671_10151092155185607_558620606_22350318_1814013766_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrantH

I'll keep that in mind. I attempted CA and thought it came out decent, but still not sure on if I should be sanding between coats, spraying accelerator, and the details. More research to be done.

Rick P

Lots of great articles on finishing and much more in the IAP library! Seriously one of the best resources for pen turning available.

BSea

I think that's a great pen for one of your 1st. CA finishing just takes practice. And photos show off those little sanding circles far more than the naked eye. I like the subtle curves you used. I think too many times people want to get over creative with their 1st pens, but I think you nailed it.

As far as sanding, did you get a set of micro mesh? If not, that should be one of your next purchases. If you sand through all the grits (including lengthwise) most of those sanding rings will be all but invisible.

I really want to see what you turn with the poly resin blank I told you would surprise you. Plus you won't have to use CA.

GrantH

I think that's a great pen for one of your 1st. CA finishing just takes practice. And photos show off those little sanding circles far more than the naked eye. I like the subtle curves you used. I think too many times people want to get over creative with their 1st pens, but I think you nailed it.

As far as sanding, did you get a set of micro mesh? If not, that should be one of your next purchases. If you sand through all the grits (including lengthwise) most of those sanding rings will be all but invisible.

I really want to see what you turn with the poly resin blank I told you would surprise you. Plus you won't have to use CA.

I'm wanting to do a nicer pen for those acrylic blanks. I need a sharpening system as well. I start work Wednesday and will be ordering both as soon as possible.

Thank you everyone that has complimented and/or given critique to getting better. I can't wait to get as good as a lot of you are!

Edit: Does anyone else use the parting tool for 90% of their pen turning? I can control things a lot easier with it than my roughing gauges. I haven't attempted the skew yet, but I want to.

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

I'm wanting to do a nicer pen for those acrylic blanks. I need a sharpening system as well. I start work Wednesday and will be ordering both as soon as possible.

Thank you everyone that has complimented and/or given critique to getting better. I can't wait to get as good as a lot of you are!

Edit: Does anyone else use the parting tool for 90% of their pen turning? I can control things a lot easier with it than my roughing gauges. I haven't attempted the skew yet, but I want to.
I think you will find it much easier and more rewarding if you tune up your skills with some other tools.

GrantH

I plan on it, just found that to work on this one a bit easier than my gouges. I plan to use others as I become more comfortable.

Joe Burns

Good first pen. The fit looks good. Much better than my first one. The CA finish will come with practice. Wont take long.

On the CA finish you shouldn't be sanding between coats. Wet-sanding with micro-mesh will get the finish where you want it.

For turning I use one of the carbide tip tools that are available. Its much more forgiving on the angles and much easier to use than the skew.

Joe

Jgrden

Your tolerances are right on. The color and grain really show well. Your picture is done so well that it shows the finish could be a little smoother. I would carry this pen in my shirt pocket any time. Good work.

GrantH

I just turned another that I like even more :) Walnut with satin silver hardware. I'll be using it at the new job Wednesday. :) This is completely addicting. Instant(ish) Satisfaction!

Top Bottom