My First Jr. Gents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from allenworsham

allenworsham

After doing a number of Barons and not being thrilled with the quality of the plastic threads and having to glue parts on all of them, I made the change over to the Jr. Gentleman pens. I like them much better than the Baron as they are a bit larger at the tip and they have the metal threads vs. the plastic threads of the Baron. I completed my first 2 using cocobolo with one in Black Titanium and the other in Rhodium. Since we have been so stinking hot here in So. California this past week at 100+ degrees and got up to 110 degrees today, I haven't been able to do much turning and I was not about to set up the light tent out in the garage where I normally do it. So the photos are just quickies using a grey t-shirt on the bed with the ceiling fan lights along with a desk lamp for lights. I used "Picassa" to crop and edit the lighting and sharpness. I think I should have not done the sharpening as it makes the wood look a bit grainy and funky. Oh well, it's not great, but much better than my basic windows photo editing.

Finish is CA then buffed with Tripoli and White Diamond. I will be delivering these to a friend tomorrow.

00862222123_Black%20Titanium%20Closed%20Cocobolo-1.jpg

200862222153_BlackTitanuim%20Open%20Cocobolo-1.jpg

200862222224_Rhodium%20Closed%201%20Cocobolo-1.jpg

20086222265_Rhodium%20Open%20Cocobolo.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Great work, I like both the Baron and Jr Gent, the only plastic threads on a Baron are inside the cap the rest are black painted metal threads(brass I think it is).:)

karlkuehn

Banned
I like the Baron threads actually, because the metal threads don't break up the 'post' side enough, and it looks a little cheap, IMO.

I'm torn between the cheesy hex 'faceted' barrel on the Baron nib and the clunky, goofy looking 'ribbed' look of the Jr. Gent barrel. Thank God for the fountain pens.

The one thing that I like about the Baron is the black center band and finial. It makes the decision to customize them much easier. The Jr. Gent's got the fancier gold stuff that allows you to wimp out and not replace them because they look pretty nice. The Baron's black stuff is kind of a given to customize because it looks so 'blah' to leave it black. If they ever make a Baron kit that uses gold finials and center bands, I'm going to end up in the poor house because I like the smaller diameter, and would deal with the hex nib holder at that point.

Top Bottom