My first Jeff Powell blanks...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from THarvey

THarvey

... and definately not my last. The Masterscroller is a Master Blank Maker.

Green Dragon in Buckeye, dressed out in a Black Ti Cigar.

Cross Junior Gent. This one will be my "Sunday go to meeting" pen. (It will definately be in my pocket tomorrow.)

Attachments

• Cigar - Scroll Dragon - Buckeye.jpg
    Cigar - Scroll Dragon - Buckeye.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 353
  • Jr Gent - Scroll Cross 1.jpg
    Jr Gent - Scroll Cross 1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 256
  • Jr Gent - Scroll Cross 2.jpg
    Jr Gent - Scroll Cross 2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Very Nice! I got to see him today at the Chicago pen show. His stuff is amazing in person, and it looks like you did them justice...

Oh, and a little birdie told me that there is some more on the way to exotics in the near future.

Hmm.. now to get back to the lathe.. gonna have to turn the blank that I 'acquired' in Chicago soon!!

THarvey

Great looking pens Tim. I'm surprised you managed to fit that dragon on a cigar..I didn't know it could fit and especially at the same time the cigar is not bulgy. Very well executed!

The width of the dragon was not the problem. The length was the challenging factor. I originally had a baron planned for that blank, but would have need to cut too close to the top or bottom. I was afraid of loosing some of the scroll work.

BTW: I thought it was cool how you cut the dragon where the red inclusion in the buckey looked like a flame out of the mouth.

Last edited:

workinforwood

I did not notice that inclusion and how it looks until you mentioned it. Damn I'm good! :biggrin: <or darn lucky!>

You are really good at drilling, because you had to nail that dragon dead center to not loose any off the sides. Front to back you have some play but side to side is the critical drill point. I never hear about any negatives out there, but I don't doubt there's been a few people that didn't drill their blank in the right location...make haste make waste! That's why I post instructions...and if they are not clear, I am not hard to find.

THarvey

I did not notice that inclusion and how it looks until you mentioned it. Damn I'm good! :biggrin: <or darn lucky!>

You are really good at drilling, because you had to nail that dragon dead center to not loose any off the sides. Front to back you have some play but side to side is the critical drill point. I never hear about any negatives out there, but I don't doubt there's been a few people that didn't drill their blank in the right location...make haste make waste! That's why I post instructions...and if they are not clear, I am not hard to find.

I followed your instructions... I marked the center down the length of the face.

Then took it a step farther... Before I drilled the blank, I tapped the pilot into my table, then marked 90* reference lines on my drill table from the pilot mark. (One for the reference line on the face, the other for the seam in the blank.)

Used the reference line on the face of the blank to line up with the drill bit and the lines on the table. That way I did not have to worry about whether the blank was cut square, or it my table was perfectly square. Just drilled point to point.

I took more time drilling this blank than ever before. The results are worth it.

Top Bottom