My first high end pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from angboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

These are pictures of the first high end pens I've made- where the materials alone cost over $100! There's a desert ironwood Statesman fountain pen and an amboyna burl Statesmen fountain pen, both with Anthony's gold nibs on them.

200793201039_July252007ASmall.jpg

200793201051_July252007BSmall.jpg

20079320117_July252007CSmall.jpg

200793201118_July292007ASmall.jpg

200793201422_July292007BSmall.jpg

200793201433_July292007CSmall.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Beautiful. You should be able to sell at a profit.

I actually made these for a friend, so after he rounded up to the nearest $5 increment when I told him how much the total was (I only planned to charge the cost to me), I think I made about $3 on each pen! I'm in the big times now!!! (See why I can't make a living at pen turning?)[:)][:)]

gerryr

It's about time you did some of these Angela. They both turned out very nice, but don't give your work away, it's too good for that.

That must be a very good friend to give those away like that. It was very gracious of you. I hope the recipient acknowledges you every time he/she uses them and brings more orders.
They are drop dead gorgeous!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Great job, Angela.

I have found that you can offer the nibs as an "upgrade". This allows the real fountain pen guys to get what they want (and they don't really flinch at $100 for a nib - shocked ME!!!). Meanwhile, you can still sell the gorgeous pen for only $195, which makes it sound pretty affordable. (Whole package is $295, but, for the right person, that's not a lot for a pen - ask the "Mt Blanc collectors" that spend over a thousand bucks a pop, regularly!!)

Good luck, you have the product, now you just need to develop the confidence. Spend a weekend watching Lou Metcalf - helped ME immeasurably - a public "Thank-you, Lou!!!"[:D][:D]

(I was gonna say spend a weekend with Lou, but that sounded suggestive and I KNOW how sensitive you are to those kinds of things!!)[:D][:D][:D]

angboy

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />
Good luck, you have the product, now you just need to develop the confidence. Spend a weekend watching Lou Metcalf - helped ME immeasurably - a public "Thank-you, Lou!!!"[:D][:D]

(I was gonna say spend a weekend with Lou, but that sounded suggestive and I KNOW how sensitive you are to those kinds of things!!)[:D][:D][:D]

Hhmmm... and what did you spend the weekend watching Lou do?[:p][:p]

What do you say Lou- can we spend a weekend together? [}:)][}:)]

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Great job, Angela.

I have found that you can offer the nibs as an "upgrade". This allows the real fountain pen guys to get what they want (and they don't really flinch at $100 for a nib - shocked ME!!!). Meanwhile, you can still sell the gorgeous pen for only $195, which makes it sound pretty affordable. (Whole package is $295, but, for the right person, that's not a lot for a pen - ask the "Mt Blanc collectors" that spend over a thousand bucks a pop, regularly!!)

Ditto what Ed said,

I have done just that, I sold an Emperor like that to a FP collector in blue lapis Trustone with an Anthony nib for $500...it scared the heck out of me...but he was licking his chops for it....[:)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I can't stay out of trouble even when I don't post! Very nice job on the pens, Angela. By all means, come spend a weekend. If you insist on watching, I can make sure everything has a mirror finish. And Ed, you are welcome. Come back and visit any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom