My first go at PLYWOOD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tseger

Status
Not open for further replies.

tseger

2007126164117_black_ti_ply.jpg

This is a FB maple pen with teak plywood from Indonesia. I'm still trying to work on my ca finish:( Anyway, good, bad, or ugly, let me have your verdict. Include ways I could have improved this pen.
Thanks for looking. Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Looks better than I thought it would! The fit and finish look great. I'm not excited about the shape. The laminations are nice and tight, but the thicknesses and colors look a bit off in places. Over all, certainly a pen that would catch my attention.

tseger

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Looks better than I thought it would! The fit and finish look great. I'm not excited about the shape. The laminations are nice and tight, but the thicknesses and colors look a bit off in places. Over all, certainly a pen that would catch my attention.
Thanks for the reply, Jim. My intentions were to make it semetric. I just noticed after your post that I have more space between the inlay and the clip end than I do between the inlay and the tip. The mahogany on each side of the center band look pretty close. Tim

Skye

Originally posted by tseger
I just noticed after your post that I have more space between the inlay and the clip end than I do between the inlay and the tip.

That's what I was going to say.

Something about the black bands arent working for me. I think they stand out a little too much. But, that's just a matter of taste, which is really pointless to even say.

pete00

tim

nice job on the bands, so good in fact that next time dont use the center band , try using one of yours instead. At the same time you could fatten it up a little if you wanted to.

pete

doeringr

Dude, the pen is awesome. I think plywood is one of the most undrutilized turning mediums. I've done several bowls using a walnut plywood and they come out incredible. pLus you never know what little suprises pop up in the plywood. Ecxellent color choice! Keep experimenting!

doeringr

carverken

Sorry I cannot reply in your catagories. I will go no lower than VERY GOOD. I like it and I cannot see that the finish is not of the same calibre as the pen.

K

tseger

Originally posted by NavyDiver
<br />Tim, great job on the pen. I love the combination of colors.
Thanks Eric, I cant take credit for the colors. Other than the mahogany bands at the center band and the black veneers, all those colors were in the plywood. Thanks for looking, Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom