My first go at an acrylic pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mecompco

mecompco

Made this for a friend. Let's just say "difficulties" arose, and I learned a lot (blew out the end of one blank drilling through it, and had paint smear when gluing in the tubes--won't make either mistake again)! Nonetheless, I think the final product came out OK. Friendly advice and criticisms are most welcome (sorry for the crappy cell phone pic).

Regards,
Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vakmere

Not too shabby, good color combination. I like comfort grips. Great as an every day pen. It will get better with time. Keep at it. Better photos will make a good photo album of your work also. Post some more when you make them.

Charlie_W

Looks like you overcame your difficulties and have a nice pen!

For me, the pink and gold work fine. I would consider ditching the black grip and make the lower blank longer next time.....just my .02.

mecompco

Looks like you overcame your difficulties and have a nice pen!

For me, the pink and gold work fine. I would consider ditching the black grip and make the lower blank longer next time.....just my .02.

Charlie, I agree! The black grip hides sins, (and I really don't hate the way it looks) but to be honest is a PITA (especially for me, using a cutter on a metal lathe) to part off. I did a couple more today (just one "Comfort" kit left) and spent the day at it--I still learn something with every pen I make.

I've got a bunch of Slimline kits that I am going to "upgrade" to Comfortline sized trim rings and/or do the wooden "ring" mod.

In my short time doing this I've found I much more enjoy doing larger pens, and single tube pens are great.

I'm pretty much ready to ditch my mandrel--just now trying to figure out how to mod bushings to fit inside 7mm tubes (figured I'd just turn down have the bushing, but I find they are too narrow to get them on my centers, and too small to get in my 4 jaw chuck).

Regards,
Michael

mecompco

Not too shabby, good color combination. I like comfort grips. Great as an every day pen. It will get better with time. Keep at it. Better photos will make a good photo album of your work also. Post some more when you make them.

Thank you. I'd already given the pen away when I remembered I'd forgotten to get a good pic. This was a quicky with the cell phone at lunch time. I agree--the Aquapearl and gold look nice--will keep it in mind for future ladies pens.

Regards,
Michael

mecompco

Nice work! You will get better as you turn more acrylics. (Not that this looks bad - you will just not have the paint smears and blowouts!)

Ah, yes--I have now learned that it is a good idea to NOT drill through acrylics--cut the extra-long blank AFTER drilling partially through it.

The paint smearing I'm not so sure about. I'm thinking of spray painting the tube, q-tip in the blank and mixing some paint into the epoxy next time. I did notice that the paint I used (white nail polish) made the thick CA I used set up really quickly. Also, I had tube slippage during assembly, which was a PITA.

Regards,
Michael

PS I know you can't see from the pic, but finish and fitment are good. After turning I went up to 400 grit dry, then wet MM'd through 12K.

Charlie_W

Nice work! You will get better as you turn more acrylics. (Not that this looks bad - you will just not have the paint smears and blowouts!)

Ah, yes--I have now learned that it is a good idea to NOT drill through acrylics--cut the extra-long blank AFTER drilling partially through it.

The paint smearing I'm not so sure about. I'm thinking of spray painting the tube, q-tip in the blank and mixing some paint into the epoxy next time. I did notice that the paint I used (white nail polish) made the thick CA I used set up really quickly. Also, I had tube slippage during assembly, which was a PITA.

Regards,
Michael

PS I know you can't see from the pic, but finish and fitment are good. After turning I went up to 400 grit dry, then wet MM'd through 12K.

Yup, clear epoxy to glue in the tubes.

Since you have the metal lathe, you can make your bushings solid, long enough to fit in the chuck and turn the other end to fit in the tube. If you have a 60 degree live tail center, turn that bushing with a 60 degree recess. Size the OD of the bushings to your pen parts...not other bushings...they might be off.

After your wet sanding with MM, I use a plastic polish and then buff with acrylic buffing wheels with the blue rouge. These things will kick up your shine and remove the scratches from the MM.

Sounds like you are on your way!

Last edited:

mecompco

Regards,
Michael

Yup, clear epoxy to glue in the tubes.

Since you have the metal lathe, you can make your bushings solid, long enough to fit in the chuck and turn the other end to fit in the tube. If you have a 60 degree live tail center, turn that bushing with a 60 degree recess. Size the OD of the bushings to your pen parts...not other bushings...they might be off.

After your wet sanding with MM, I use a plastic polish and then buff with acrylic buffing wheels with the blue rouge. These things will kick up your shine and remove the scratches from the MM.

Sounds like you are on your way!

Charlie, I forgot to mention that I used Meguire's after the MM (as I always to on my CA finishes). I've got my buffer set up with Tripoli/White Diamond/Caranuba--I suppose I'd have to get another wheel to do the blue rouge.

I would like to convert my "Slimline" and "Comfortline" bushing to TBC--just having trouble figuring out how to get them safely chucked to do so--they are too narrow to TBC and I'm leery of getting so close to my big 4 jaw chuck. I welcome any ideas about that.

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom