My first foutain pen (and without any lathe)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Maximil

Maximil

Hello

This is my first try to make a pen. I've no lathe :eek:, so I try to do without (excuse my language, I'm French:wink:)
It's not perfect, there are problems of concentricity (?) but the next will be better.
Another thing, I have nether done woodturning before :rolleyes::biggrin:
Nothing extraordinary, but I tried to do my best.
I had another problem, the kit are in inch, but all here is metric. So it was not evident to center correctly the bushing on my M6 (6mm) homemade pen mandrel.

stylo1mx7.jpg

stylo2jg2.jpg

And for those who would like to know how I've done :confused:
stylo0tx5.jpg

I'm ready to make another on, less colourfull (black onyx), but with the same kit. I will try to have better finitions.

What do you think about this ?

(and thankss for all your explications on this site ;))

Skye

For not having a lathe, your pen looks as good, if not better, than a lot of first pens which use a lathe. Very good work!

I think that blank would make a great closed end pen. Where did you get it?

TowMater

Max,

That's awesome for a first pen. For a first pen without even a lathe is even more impressive.

One question, does your neck get sore holding it sideways to turn like that?

Keep up the good work Mon a Mi. ( I think that's French, but I never took French)

MobilMan

dntrost- you musta been reading my mind. I can't see one thing wrong with that pen.
Maximil-wouldn't it be easier if the post [tool rest] was the same length as the blanks? The pic looks like it's a lot shorter. Before I got a lathe I had kicked around the idea of using my press layed on it's back mounted in a cradle. You've shown us one doesn't need an expensive lathe to turn a first class pen.

Maximil

For not having a lathe, your pen looks as good, if not better, than a lot of first pens which use a lathe. Very good work!

I think that blank would make a great closed end pen. Where did you get it?
here
it's the Toucan model.

TowMater: I'm sorry but I don't understand your question, even with an automatic translator in help ;)
"Mon a Mi" I think it's "Mon ami" (as "my friend" ;))

Mobil man: it's shorter but the only explication I have is that I had only this lenght in stock :D But I'had a lot of vibration so I have worked in 2 sessions the celluloid, so the post was more longer than the blanks in fact ;)

PaulDoug: thanks. I think I'll drill the bushings to 7 or 8mm (less vibration) to have a perfect adjustement with a pen mandrel of M7 or M8. But for that, I've to drill perfectly centered the bushings. :rolleyes:

Skye: as I love ST Dupont Olympio, I ask myself if my next pen will be closed end or not. :)

Thanks for your comments ;)

Skye

I think Tow was asking if your neck hurt, meaning you hold your head sideways while you make the pen. It was a joke I think.

Thanks for the link to the pen blank :)

Ligget

That is a beautiful pen, the fit and finish looks excellent and considering you never used a lathe makes it even more impressive!:bananen_smilies046:

marcruby

Maximil;

What a nice pen, even if you did make it 'sideways.'

I just had a thought. Several of us (me included) often use what is called 'Italian Lucite' for pen making. Normally the material is used for pipestems, etc. But many of the colors are unique. I've never been able to locate the Italian source for the lucite we get here. I'm not asking you to go into business for yourself, but if you happen to know of a contact, I'd appreciate finding out.

Marc

Maximil

Thanks to all.
Skye: thanks for the traduction. Effectively, it was not easy to turn in this position, but it's better than nothing :wink:

Several of us (me included) often use what is called 'Italian Lucite' for pen making. Normally the material is used for pipestems, etc. But many of the colors are unique. I've never been able to locate the Italian source for the lucite we get here. I'm not asking you to go into business for yourself, but if you happen to know of a contact, I'd appreciate finding out.
I currently buy in USA for french friends, I could do the same thing in the other way. But I don't find what is exactly "italian Lucite". Do you have pics or links please and the price you have that ?
If I find something cheaper here (and probably ;)), perhaps we could see that together.

I've a few questions:
- how do you do to have perpendicularity :)confused: 90°) ? do you use barrel trimmer head on an pilot shaft ?
- do you let the stock nib on your fountain pen ? if not, where could I buy a good qualité gold nib (for my kit).

Thanks

EDIT: ok, lucite is a commercial name for acrylic ;) I'll looking for contact here.

Last edited:

Maximil

Re

I've called my contact here and I can find your product.
You can see the coloris (example) on this page

A poor picture about one "italian lucite" in dark blue
prestige605bne.jpg

I could have them in 25 x 130 (about 7/8" x 5") in a lot of colors. (or longer if necessary, the price is about the weight, not the dimension)
My contact says me that price would be about 1,40€ (about 2$) for each, but without shipping.
For shipping in France there is no soucy but for US (with the parity $/€), it would be interesting only for a command of a lot of blank (10 or plus, same color or not).
I'm waiting for my contact to have effective price with shipping and colors available.
What do you think about ?

Last edited:

dkarcher

Max, that is one beautiful pen. More impressive is that it is your first one and you did it on a drill press.
Congratulations!:good:

marcruby

Some of those look very interesting! and the price you qoute would be good even with shipping added in. Here's a link to the primary seller of Lucite here for pipe stems and pen blanks -

http://www.pipemakers.org/rods01.html

The material turns a bit differently than US acrylic and some of the more translucent types can be wonderful over a painted tube.

Marc

Re

I've called my contact here and I can find your product.
You can see the coloris (example) on this page

A poor picture about one "italian lucite" in dark blue
prestige605bne.jpg

I could have them in 25 x 130 (about 7/8" x 5") in a lot of colors. (or longer if necessary, the price is about the weight, not the dimension)
My contact says me that price would be about 1,40€ (about 2$) for each, but without shipping.
For shipping in France there is no soucy but for US (with the parity $/€), it would be interesting only for a command of a lot of blank (10 or plus, same color or not).
I'm waiting for my contact to have effective price with shipping and colors available.
What do you think about ?

workinforwood

Beautiful work on the pen! Je ne parles pas francais although it is a mandatory requirement where I'm from. I thought that pen was in metric, not standard. They send you a 10.5 and a 12.5 mm bit for a JR Gent.

Maximil

I will have the information about lucite next week, I'll write here the price. But the question: how many people woold be interested ? Or I send a "package" to USA and you see between you ?

I've juste made little modifications on my drill press. The homemade mandrin pen (thread stem :confused:) is now a M8 stainless steel (less vibration) and the bushings have been tapped by a professional on a metal lathe. So, my second pen (Yes, I've time to spend ;)) is on, and the results is better, a lot better. Pictures perhaps this week.

marcruby

I would be interested. The biggest problem will probably be paying you. Most folks here use paypal. If that works for you then we can manage with no real problem. If others are interested we will have to see how complicated things get. If it's not too complicated I can act as the point for the deal.

Once you have prices we'll start a thread in the individual classified section and see what develops.

Marc

I will have the information about lucite next week, I'll write here the price. But the question: how many people woold be interested ? Or I send a "package" to USA and you see between you ?

I've juste made little modifications on my drill press. The homemade mandrin pen (thread stem :confused:) is now a M8 stainless steel (less vibration) and the bushings have been tapped by a professional on a metal lathe. So, my second pen (Yes, I've time to spend ;)) is on, and the results is better, a lot better. Pictures perhaps this week.

Maximil

I would be interested. The biggest problem will probably be paying you. Most folks here use paypal. If that works for you then we can manage with no real problem. If others are interested we will have to see how complicated things get. If it's not too complicated I can act as the point for the deal.

Once you have prices we'll start a thread in the individual classified section and see what develops.

Marc

Marcruby: paypal ? what's this ? :biggrin: I've paypal and I accept paypal, international virement in $... there will be no soucy ;)
If you can act as the point for the deal, the shipping cost will be lower. Ok, thanks for that.

Daniel

Really nice pen, lathe or no lathe. Can't wait to see what you come up with when you have had a little practice.

broitblat

I think the pen looks great! That's an ambitious kit for your first pen :)

I did quite a few pens on a drill press before I got my lathe. Penn State sells a set up for that that looks pretty similar to what you've made.

Thanks for sharing.

-Barry

Maximil

My second try without any lathe.
Not perfect, my drill press don't turn round :mad:
I have try to modify a little the kit as most of you here.

Black onyx (not terrible to work I find)
stylonoirbg7.jpg

What do you think about this kit in all black ?:)

Are the adjustements perfect (really perfect) on a mini-lathe ?

kruger

Beau travail vu de France.
Je te félicite pour ton ingéniosité.
Une question précédente te demandait pourquoi tu n'avais pas fait le support + long que le carrelet que tu tournes pour une question de régularité.
Si ta perceuse ne tourne pas concentrique, c'est peut être un problème de roulement ou d'alignement.
Concernant la " lucite" dans les forums il y a une rubrique qui s'appelle " group purchase" a travers laquelle tu peux faire une proposition d'achat groupé avec envoi à une ou x adresses aux USA qui te permettras de définir la quantité à commander.
Encore félicitations pour ton travail et ta pratique de l'anglais.
Tu as du voir que c'est un site formidable qui fonctionne à fond dans l'échange et l'émulation.
Dernière question, que prends tu comme finition?
Norbert

One other Froggy on this Big Forum

Top Bottom