My first Foutain Pen w/ Buckeye Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from K-9 Man

K-9 Man

Here are two pens I made about a week ago. This is my first fountain pen I have made and I have been turning pens for about 5 years now. They are both out of Buckeye Burl. The kits are the Prismo kits from Woodturningz.com. Sorry that the pictures are not that great but I am on alert and had a buddy take a picture with his phone. I finished them with CA and then one step plastic finish.

I had issues removing the bushings from the barrels once I finished the CA applications, 4 total applications each. This is only my second time using the CA as a finish and I really like it. Any tips on how to remove the barrels from the bushings without having it chip out?

Thanks for looking and please any advise/tips will be greatly appreciated.

Ernie

Attachments

• Ernie Buckeye Burl pens.jpg
    Ernie Buckeye Burl pens.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Ernie Buckeye Burl Fountain Pen.png
    Ernie Buckeye Burl Fountain Pen.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 146
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

They look good, a word of advice would be to unscrew the top of the cap and put a drop of lock-tite on the threads so it won't come off later by it's self. every one I have built has done that (5).

Russknan

Very nice, Ernie! And be safe out there! As to removing bushings, you can use Johnson's paste wax on the bushings just before finishing, and that will help a lot. Or you can buy Delrin finish bushings from a vendor here on IAP, put a little wax on them to be extra sure, and do your finishing that way. That's what I'm doing now, and I much prefer it.

Rodnall

Before I take the blanks off the lathe, I take a box cutter with a fresh blade and work it around the seam between the blank and the bushing cutting the CA.

Top Bottom