My First Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from oops99

oops99

I have had a few people ask for FP's, so when Stacker had some for sale I got some to try out. Here is my first try. It's made with a Spalted Apple blank and finished with 6 coats of BLO/CA and then 2 coats of One Step Plastic polish.

All comments welcome, unless you don't like it.

Tom/oops99

PenStands039-1.jpg

PenStands034-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I like the Ligero kit and while I'm personally not wild about the "bulge" look, I think your finish looks really nice! Is that the natural color of the blank? It almost looks stained which makes it look very rich!

oops99

This might sound like a weird question but, can someone identify this pen (Name and Brand)?
I bought this from Stacker, but I think he is away or too busy or something.He sold me a bunch of pen kits, but he sent some kits with no name or marking on the package.
Now I need 4 of these kits in roller ball instead of fountain. There are so many different brands, I want to get something close.
Also could I get your opinions on who is the best company to deal with for pen kits, I don't mean who sells the most expensive, I want someone who sells quality kits that everyone can afford.
Thanks
Tom/oops99

Texatdurango

Last edited:

ldb2000

Tom , I'm not a fan of the shape but your fit and finish are supurb and that wood is fantastic . Great job .

The kit you made is a Ligero fountain pen. Craft Supply used to carry them but after a lot of controversy over the threaded front section or for reasons unknown to me, they stopped carrying the fountain pen. BUT they still carry the Ligero rollerball and it's a first cousin to the El Grande. Here is the rollerball.... http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...its___Ligero_Rollerball_Pen___ligero_pen?Args=

Errr....sorry George that's not a Ligero it's an El Grande . The Ligero has a different centerband , I think they call it cups or something . Also the El Grande still comes in a fountain pen and rollerball version .
Here's the link to them http://bereahardwoods.com/pen/supplies/pk-el-grande.html

The Ligero has what they call a Bowl pattern on the bands .

Last edited:

Ligget

Definately an El Grande, beautiful wood and finish, however, I agree with the comments about the bulge and prefer thinner straight profile barrels.

RAdams

Banned
yep.. I agree with the crew. Beautiful wood, awesome workmanship, but the bulge, especially in the cap, looks off to me.

Oddly enough, I LOVE the bulge look on the Euro kits, but the capped pens look funny to me like that.

Top Bottom