My First Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rlharding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlharding

This is my very first fountain pen and my very first picture post.
tn_FP.jpg

I didn't realize what a PITA it was going to be. I turned what I thought was a great set of blanks using acrylic, then put the parts together incorrectly...or so I thought. It wasn't until I ruined the short blank trying to get the CB off that I realized I hadn't put it together incorrectly at all.

I started again with a new set of blanks and was being especially careful....and put the O rings on the wrong size of the threads! In taking off the threaded sections I forgot about one of my rings - yup, pounding the threaded end off while holding the blank resulted in gouges in the blank. After putting the O rings on the right side of the threaded sections I sanded the blanks down again until I sanded out the gouges my ring had made, then did the finish all over again. Blo/CA followed by lacquer and wax after I couldn't get a nice finish with the BLO/CA.

Put it all back together, thought it looked all right, then brought it home to take pics. I know I need to do some serious work on my picture taking.

Then, while looking through other photo albums before uploading an image I saw that no one seemed to have the O rings on their pens. I must have missed that little bit of advise.

For my first FP I think it's fine, if it was my 10th I wouldn't post it.
I am disappointed with the finish on the gold as it came lightly scratched. I was going to change the nib section out but the other pen sets had the same problem. Higher end kits the next order.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Nice pen, sorry to hear about the hassle you had making it, but there would be a few members in here who have done exactly the same, including me.

When you are learning your CA finish it is better to turn some scrap wood into cylinders, then sand as normal and practice your finish. If it is bad just sand the CA off and start again, saves good blanks getting wasted.

Last thing is if you bought a kit with scratches take it back to the seller, no matter how cheap it may have been it is not fit for the purpose it was made for. Do not put up with buying crap![:)]

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
None of us have ever,ever done those things before[:D]
The trick is to learn, and try not to repeat the same mistake more than two or three times[:D][:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by rlharding
<br />Thank you all for your words of support. I am going to do another today while it's all still in my mind.

Ruth

I've got a mind JUST LIKE that, Ruth.[:(][:(][:(][:(]

Nice looking pen and, yes, improve while you still remember - 15 minutes from now it COULD be gone!!! (Memory, that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom