My first fountain pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rolandranch

Rolandranch

I made this Majestic Jr. out of black and gold matrix tru-stone and the only trouble I had was drilling the blanks out. When ever I drill through tru-stone the drill bit blows the ends out. I've tried using brad-point and standard drill bits but neither of them give me a clean hole at the end. On this pen, however, I left enough room so that the blow-out did not affect it. I appreciate any tips or advice.

IMG_20150626_130434.jpg

IMG_20150626_130526.jpg

IMG_20150626_130620.jpg

mecompco

Looks nice! I think the proscribed way to avoid blowout is to make the blank a little long, don't drill through the end, then cut it to length. I've also (though it's probably not recommened) is to drill half-way through, reverse the blank in the lathe (making sure to keep it oriented the same in the chuck) then drill through the other half. Just some thoughts.

Regards,
Michael

vakmere

They look elegant together. Good job, nice save. FWIW when I get near the end of the blank be it trustone or acrylic I'll put a couple drops of water in the hole to keep the bit cool also have my dust collector 4" duct right against the bit to remove any heat build up.

Top Bottom