My first finished collection of Cigars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OC1

OC1

Hi, this is my first collection of cigar pens (I really like the kit)
Sorry, I am just a beginner so no extravaganza here, just traditional exotic woods and burls and three inlaces. I used french polishing for the wood pens. I also made the stand from scrap hardwoods. Hope you like them as much as I enjoyed them to make.

pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Craftdiggity

Oscar,

They look great. That Snakewood one on the end in really nice. How long ago did you make that one? I ask because I made several snakewood pens and they all cracked about two or three months later. Now I hate the stuff, but it looks awqesome.

Chris

OC1

Thanks for comments.
I know snakewood is bit difficult wood. This was one of the first cigar pen I made, so it stayed for some time (and still is) crack free.
I tried to be very careful.

My teacher uses snakewood for making guitars, both as binding and fingerboard/bridge and also sometimes for sides and back. Bending involves high temperature and water (both what snakewood doesn't like), still the guitars are ok many years later.
I think for turning/drilling the high speed and removing too much material is first part of the problem where the blank may explode from heat then the finish that doesn't seep deep into wood is second, probably bigger problem. Wood turners would use someting like friction polish - that doesn't go deep to the wood, just create thin film on surface.
I (and my teacher as well) use french polish and you first start with very diluted shellac that rather seeps into the wood then work it toward full strength shellac with time. I think this plays significant role for the stability. The snakewood get sort of partially stabilized.

Now I didn't do french polishing using same lenghty process like making a guitar, just sort of quick version, but still I kind of feel this may be the "secret" of stable snakewood. And also it stays candy-like shiny for a very long time.

Anyhow, I think for the price and possible problems there are better woods. I like my snakewood pen, but from the comments of friends the snakewood doesn't get that much attention. For example the red amboyna (4th from left) get far more comments from friends.

Last edited:

ToddMR

Impressive collection. Thank you also for the insight on the snakewood. I have not personally used it and did not know about those issues.

Jon-wx5nco

I agree with Todd. I appreciate your insight on the snakewood. I have a blank and I have been real tempted to make a El Grande FP out of it. If the finish needs to seep into the wood, I would assume that 5 or so coats of thin CA would do the trick as well?

OC1

I am sure thin CA glue will work even better - that thing makes bone out of mud and gets everywhere.
I am however alergic to CA fumes and so I stopped using it only when absolutely necessary.

Rangertrek

Nice collections of Cigar pen, well executed.
The cigar style is not a personal favorite of mine. I don't like the connection between upper and lower barrels. The pen has sold reasonably well for me and I will continue to make a few. Doing an ultra-cigar now for a wedding pen.
Again, very nice set of pens.

Craftdiggity

Oscar,

Good tip on the SW. I'll give it another try using a CA finish. I have a bunch of SW shorts that I was going to get rid of. Maybe I'll hang onto them. They'll work for cigar style.

David Keller

Nice work... They all look great. The cigar is my favorite style pen. If you like the shape but hate the black portions of the kit, try the two tone cigar from Beartoothwoods... Ernie has the best price on that kit, and it makes for a great looking pen.

Top Bottom