My first "fancy pen"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JoeOCNJ

JoeOCNJ

I've been turning since around Christmas this past year. I've made quite a few slimlines out of various woods. My wife and I took a ride up to Penn State Industries last week, and I couldn't resist buying The Broadwell Nouveau Sceptre Rhodium & 22kt Gold Rollerball Pen Kit Starter...... This is the 4th successful piece of acrylic I have turned, have had several break on me..

Let me have it...

172202_110471212362725_109734439103069_81442_5670744_o_800x529.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeOCNJ

Thank you! Guess I should throw in I used the plastic finishing MM pads from PSI, and some "one-step" polish after the final grit.

Looks great. I love the scepter it has a great design and look to it. Lots on here don`t like it for some reason and you do not see many posted.

After making several pens with black resin I have found that the tube or drilled hole needs to be painted black or the brass shows through

JoeOCNJ

Looks great. I love the scepter it has a great design and look to it. Lots on here don`t like it for some reason and you do not see many posted.

After making several pens with black resin I have found that the tube or drilled hole needs to be painted black or the brass shows through

I'll be honest, there is one part that if you look closely you can see the tube, but the opaque shine of the blank, it blends in, I only noticed it because I try to be over critical on my own work.

Jgrden

You did great work. Perfect transitions from material to kit. Complimentary finish. I am not sure about the filler (point) and its appearance as it protrudes from the nib. Will the kit allow an adjustment for it to come out 1/32 of an inch further?

JoeOCNJ

You did great work. Perfect transitions from material to kit. Complimentary finish. I am not sure about the filler (point) and its appearance as it protrudes from the nib. Will the kit allow an adjustment for it to come out 1/32 of an inch further?

Nope, it's not adjustable.. Altho maybe a bigger spring in the back might push it out a little further..

omb76

Very nice!! Reverse painting the hole will prevent the brass tube from showing through the acrylic. I typically like a straight cut on the Septre instead of the slight curve, but it does look nice.

Congrats on such a nice pen!

JoeOCNJ

Very nice!! Reverse painting the hole will prevent the brass tube from showing through the acrylic. I typically like a straight cut on the Septre instead of the slight curve, but it does look nice.

I was afraid to go any closer to the tube than I had to, my previous experience with acrylic was not so good, every time i'd get within "I'm almost done turning this, now I have to give it a nice shine" distance of the tube, it would blow apart.. I resharpened my tool about 4 times making this trying not to blow it apart.. Since this pen, I just ordered the woodchuck so hopefully I'll have a sharper, more consistant edge to work with for those tiny bites.

omb76

I was afraid to go any closer to the tube than I had to, my previous experience with acrylic was not so good, every time i'd get within "I'm almost done turning this, now I have to give it a nice shine" distance of the tube, it would blow apart.. I resharpened my tool about 4 times making this trying not to blow it apart.. Since this pen, I just ordered the woodchuck so hopefully I'll have a sharper, more consistant edge to work with for those tiny bites.

The woodchuck is great, you'll love it! What type of glue do you use to set the tubes? Sounds like CA. If you use epoxy you'll have a lot less trouble with the blanks coming apart. I use a 5 min epoxy works great and no blown out blanks!

76winger

Are you trying to take too much material off at once? Up till recently I've been using a 40 year old carbon steel Power Kraft skew, and gouge of same material and brand, that I've been turning my wood and acrylics with. Usually only have to sharpen once near the final couple of passes just to smooth it all out before sanding & MM. I'm sure I take a little longer than most to make a pen, but I've only blown one acrylic and two wood blanks out of almost 200 units now. All that to say I think it's how you use the tool as much as what tool you use that matters.

All that aside now, you made a great looking pen!

I love the Noveau Scepter's and have made several. Of the larger pens I get from PSI, they seem to be my best sellers. Even though the Majestics and Art Decos have more "Bling".

wiset1

Spot on, I'm really fond of this kit and you've done something wonderful with it. Since Christmas...? You'll be great at this!

JoeOCNJ

I have been using Gorilla Glue, but I do have some 5 min epoxy I could give it a try.

The woodchuck is great, you'll love it! What type of glue do you use to set the tubes? Sounds like CA. If you use epoxy you'll have a lot less trouble with the blanks coming apart. I use a 5 min epoxy works great and no blown out blanks!

JoeOCNJ

Are you trying to take too much material off at once? Up till recently I've been using a 40 year old carbon steel Power Kraft skew, and gouge of same material and brand, that I've been turning my wood and acrylics with. Usually only have to sharpen once near the final couple of passes just to smooth it all out before sanding & MM. I'm sure I take a little longer than most to make a pen, but I've only blown one acrylic and two wood blanks out of almost 200 units now. All that to say I think it's how you use the tool as much as what tool you use that matters.

All that aside now, you made a great looking pen!

I love the Noveau Scepter's and have made several. Of the larger pens I get from PSI, they seem to be my best sellers. Even though the Majestics and Art Decos have more "Bling".

I probably am trying to take too much, as I said i've been turning since Christmas, I got my HF Mini lathe with some birthday money while waiting for the pen stuff to arrive I messed around with some wood i had in the garage.. nothing fancy, i think just scrap 2x4's... So that's most likely it..

Top Bottom