My first ever pens!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cmmarshall

Cmmarshall

I'm new, like brand new to turning anything. Pens seemed fun so I bought a lathe, chisels, Mandrels, kits and hut wax. Didn't like the wax after pen number 1 (not shown) so immediately switched to CA.

Pointers welcome, just remember I'm so new they haven't even cut the cord yet.

Left to right: Chechen wood, teak, figured Bocote, oak, stained oak.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 395
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice pens !!! . Well done !! . I like your pen stand ... where did you get it, or did you make it ?

jttheclockman

Always love the firsts. Keep them so you have something to look back on as you grow into this hobby. You are hooked and heading down that rabbit hole.:) Just a suggestion when taking the photo, lower the camera angle so we get to see the pens head on a little better. keep it up and hope to see plenty more.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome and, what a great start!. As a friendly suggestion, I would like to see more attention to the fit where, the wood joins the pen parts and more sanding in the valleys. you can accomplish a better fit by, checking the diameter with your calipers before pressing the parts into the tubes. The ends of the turned barrels should be the same diameter as the respective pen parts. Just a suggestion!

Cmmarshall

Thanks all for the encouragement.

I made the pen display out of some pine and painted. I displayed them not because I'm so proud of them, although I'm shocked they turned out fairly decent, but so I could keep my "first pancakes" for future reference.

I'm learning that photography on this site is important. I will work on that. Angle, lighting and props are not my forte, but I bet I can do a decent job if I try.

These pens definitely have room for improvement. I abraneted through the ca just slightly on 2 of them on the ridges. Didn't notice until I pressed the parts in. The same 2 have valleys with white stuff under the finish. I suspect after abranet I need to clean those out before applying polish. As for fitting better, I'm figuring that out as well. Although I will say you can't "feel" a ridge where anything fits, my technique with ca tends to build up a slight bit where pieces are fitted together.

My wife thinks they are worthy to sale. I told her I wouldn't by a watch with flaws, scratches or dull spots and I dang sure won't try to sell a pen that way. Pens are like jewelry in my opinion. Status and intrigue. (To the masses that is). Cool note though, my brother carries monte blanc daily and wants me to make him a pen and pencil set for daily use. I told him to give me a couple months to skill build then we could pick a kit and some wood or acrylic. (Have to learn acrylic first).

Thanks again all!

jttheclockman

Cody it is good to see you are taking the things mentioned as intended just some helpful tips. That is what we are about here. You are not that far off and your firsts are some of the better ones we have seen here. You will over time develop your own style, and methods of turning and also finishing and it will continue to evolve as you progress. The pens you sell or even give away will be representations of your work so you will need to keep that in mind. It could lead to larger things down the road and only time will tell that. Working with various materials will be challenging but it will be fun as you learn. Do not get frustrated if something does not go right. Stop by here and discuss.

Yes photos are important to help us see what is going on and no they do not have to be professionally done. Yours right now are very good. That is something too that gets worked on and changed over time. keep up the good work and keep those lathes spinning.

ivel

Nice job, if those are your first, you figured out the CA finish a LOT quicker than I did. I was ready to give up.

Be prepared to spend any excess money you have on this hobby.

Dehn0045

We're reaching way back in time here... been almost 2 years since he last visited, maybe he spent all of his money on penturning and had to turn off his internet...

Top Bottom