My first Ever Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Seer

Seer

Well I guess it looks nice, my wife loves it and I guess for my first it it good. I got a Wilton mini-Lathe for my B-day and have been dying to turn a pen after seeing all those here and other places on the web. I originally had wanted to make it completely in Brazillian Cherry which I purchased several blanks on sale at the local Woodcraft store as well as the rest of the goodies I would be needing. I ended up making half the pen in cherry from which i cut from a piece of scrap and the other end was from a piece of scrap rosewood or kingwood not sure, I am thinking Kingwood because the color had a little purple to it but anyways I wanted to show you the finished project.
Oh all the lessons I got for doing this was a video on youtube from Rockler and the ideas here and at Lumberjocks and I really do appreciate any ideas or suggestions besides quiting while I am ahead lol. You guys and gals are great and thanks.

47296.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimofsanston

Great looking pen.

Get ready for the stress of when can you turn the next pen and if your wife will let you be on the lathe as much as you want.

kirkfranks

Nice job for your first.
Be sure to keep it (have your wife keep it.)
Many here have regretted not keeping their first pen as it is good to look back in over time to see how your skills have improved.

Skye

I really do appreciate any ideas or suggestions besides quiting while I am ahead lol.

First off, it's a great first pen. Reminds us all of our first pens.

Suggestions; My two are to meet the bushings when you turn. You'll get rid of that rough transition from wood to kit where the centerband is as well as the nib. Second; Try putting the dark wood at the top when using a dark and light combo. Just personal taste.

Now that you have one under your belt, experiment with some more woods, different finishes, omitting the centerband, etc. Don't worry about moving on to bigger and better kits too much yet, there's still plenty of things you can do with slimlines.

MobilMan

Got another 'zonie' here, huh. where at in Ariz? Nice pen for a first. And like already said, put it under lock/key. No, really--keep it & use it as much as possible. That way you can see how long the finish will last. Also, friends/family will see it. Then you'll be making one for each of them.

Seer

Thanks to all of You

Thank you all for your comments I really appreciate them. I have more pics of my most recent ones and will set them up later.
Again thank you

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Wonderful "First." So much better than mine was . . . better than my second.

I think your wife would just love using it for you, trying out the finish and all.

USAFVET98

I gave my first one to my mother which was made from Purple heart and a gold slimline kit.
The first was ok, but the second,.... HAHA
The second pen I turned, I still have. I turned it from tigerwood. It is a reminder of everything not to do.. It doesnt even open. CA leaked into the transmission. HAHA. I will post it soon.

Anyway, Nice first and I agree with everyone else, keep the first or give it to someone special, and kiss all your free time and money goodbye...

Top Bottom