My First Ever Hand Cast Ribbon Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from joefyffe

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Watched Grub32 video and did it! Hand poured ribbons, Hand cast blank, on top of a chrome Sierra Vista. Tell me what you think, good or bad. C and C welcome!

Attachments

• My First Ribbon.jpg
    My First Ribbon.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 294
  • My First Ribbon2.jpg
    My First Ribbon2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 321
  • My First Ribbon3.jpg
    My First Ribbon3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 247
  • My First Ribbon4.jpg
    My First Ribbon4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Shawn: I think what kinda looks like brass is just in the pic. I'm not sure what caused it as I didn't use any gold colored mica. The tube was well painted and very dry/durable a number of weeks ago. Long enough I had almost forgotten it was still on the dryer board. Of course, for me that forgetting doesn't take long. :) Also, I mixed green pearlX into the epoxy used to make the union. There won't be any brass showing through.

did you reverse paint?

I think the brass coming through adds to it!

OOPS

You got some really neat colors going on in that blank, in addition to the ribbons! It really came out terrific. I agree with Phunky, you do have some abalone-like effect. A really impressive blank. And thanks for the tip on mixing mica with the epoxy.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Yeh, I made some gold ribbon, put a couple (hoped to be blanks) in the vacuum/pressure pot and when I took them out about a fourth of the PR was on the paper beneath the mold. I don't know what caused it to be sucked out or to bubble out of the mold, but I'm going to be lucky if they are any good. Leaving for GA Sunday but when I get back home I've got about two weeks to play with it. Any suggestions on what may have gone wrong?

uote=bluwolf;1397434]Joe, that really is nice. Are you planning on doing different colors?

Mike[/quote]

Top Bottom