My First Euro...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

I have not had any requests prior to this, so believe it or not, I turned out my first Europen (with Roller clip) today. I can't say that it was my favorite kit to make, but it came out nice. I would say one of the most challenging kits I have made to date. I think this is do to the measurements (Center band tenon and Bottom tube diameter) having to be so precise, for the mechanisim to fit function and feel right. This one is for a friend of mine's wife. He provided the bloodwood. It has a BLO / CA finish.

euro.jpg

Cheers,

James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Thanks for the kind words guys. I like the little roller clip too. The kit is sold at the local Woodcraft store here (Online too). The same as the regular, other than the clip. I will likely do a few more, just for another style to the arsenal.

Cheers,

James

Rifleman1776

The Euro was the first style I ever made, didn't know any better or worse. After doing a couple more, turning the tenon and getting the center band fit will be second nature. I use a 1/4" parting tool with a hollow grind. Previously used an apple seed grind but found the hollow cuts faster and stays sharp longer. I like the Euro, it is elegant and costs less than some of the other styles. The one problem I still have with it (keep in mind I'm a slow learner [:I] ) is that I like a fat hunk of wood to show off pretty grain. Occasionally I make the upper barrel too fat for the clip to fit properly and have to dissasemble and turn down. I haven't had much luck with bending the clip to accomodate my misteaks. [:)] Nice job, especiall for #1.

Fangar

Thanks for the compliments guys. I just finished turning a Euro pencil kit, for a set ordered by a customer. When I went to assemble the kit, the nib and center cartridge holder were too small for the tubes. Something is up. Anyone else have this issue with the pencil kit? The pencil kit takes a larger (11/32" tube OD) as compared to the 7mm pen. Also, a different set of bushings is required. So what gives? The wierd thing is that the cap end press fit snugly. I am thinking I got a bad kit. The bad thing is that I paid 11.50 for that bad boy. I am going to take the whole kit back to the Woodcraft where I bought it this week and see wassabe. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom